Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, some of you may know me from my other threads(see sig.) Anyways a friend of mine has a 99 Cobra with a hole in the block.. Not sure how it happened as it was a bone stock car. He doesn't have time to fix the car. I am considering picking it up for a side project.

First question is what is it worth?

Clean rust free car
still has the front bumper and amber tails
paint on roof and wing is faded
94k miles
clean interior

Secondly since it has a hole in the V of the block, im playing it safe and saying the entire motor is basically junk, besides maybe the accessories, timing cover and valve covers? Seeing as a used 4v out of a 99/01 cobra is around $3k.. what engines are "easy/budget" swaps for the 99/01 4v's?

Questions
  • Are lincoln Mark 8s and Navigator 5.4s a comparable engine?
  • would I need the ECU or tune from those cars ?
  • Should I just buy a Teksid block and build a motor? what is the average cost for a rebuild not for boost?

·
Registered
982 Posts
The main question is, are the heads still good. If the heads valves and cams are good its possibly a good buy for around 1500 but cars that don't run are cheap!!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
buy a used SB replace what hard parts need replaced and reuse all your other parts such as heads, intake ETC .. this is the most economical way.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main question is, are the heads still good. If the heads valves and cams are good it's possibly a good buy for around 1500 but cars that don't run are cheap!!!!
I have absolutely no idea if the heads are still good, or even fixable if they aren't. Since it kicked a rod i want to say the heads are going to need work at the very least.

buy a used SB replace what hard parts need replaced and reuse all your other parts such as heads, intake ETC .. this is the most economical way.
That's kinda the route I was thinking, but finding a short block teksid in my area isn't very common

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
this...

Reactions: akurma

·
Registered
982 Posts
Be a big waste of time and cash if the heads are no good don't you think? It threw a rod...

Get in there with a boar scope and take a peak at those heads before buying is what I would do.

Does he still have the intake?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Compatible off the shelf engines (aside from the Cobra) include the Lincoln Aviator, Mercury Marauder, and Mach 1.

Compatible with some modification include the MKVIII (due to using B heads) and the Navigator (requiring 5.4 adaptation hardware.) The 5.4 will require an intake adapter, slight tweaks to the tune, but will likely run without them. The MKVIII might require remote mounting the coils and an IMRC delete, if you don't swap over the C heads.

Not compatible includes the Continental, since it has different block mounting points, and the bottom end is what you need.

For rebuilding purposes, just about any Modular will work to scavenge parts off of. For a rebuild you're looking at $300 or less for a used block, $200-400 in machining, $150 in bearings/gaskets, $50 in fluids, and the big X factor will be how much you need in replacement parts for whatever broke. If you go stock sintered rods and cast pistons it's dirt cheap, but if I was in there I would throw forged parts at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts