Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at replacing my clutch on my 99 gt. does anyone have any pictures or videos of the process or list of how it is done. what else should i replace other than the clutch and will anything be needed to be lubed or are there things i should look out for as this will be my first time replacing a clutch.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
Depends on you I guess, it not a super easy job, you're gonna need some equipment, tools, and general mechanical knowledge.
As far as what you need, a clutch kit should suffice, but you should remove the flywheel for machining as well. Shouldn't need any lube.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on you I guess, it not a super easy job, you're gonna need some equipment, tools, and general mechanical knowledge.
As far as what you need, a clutch kit should suffice, but you should remove the flywheel for machining as well. Shouldn't need any lube.
are there any special tools i need as i have a jack, jack stands, all sized sockets, ratchets,wrenches. i have a v6 that got flooded in hurricane sandy and i could practice on that. are they both the same way to install the clutch. i am somewhat mechanically inclined and so are my friends that will be helping out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try to Use the search button next time.

This and a lot of other great info are in the stickies at the top of the page
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/66908-replacing-your-clutch-look-no-further.html

You'll need a slide hammer for the PB. While your in there, replace your fork,stud,tb,and PB with ford units. Not the ones that come in the clutch kits.
thanks i actually did search the forum but couldnt find it for some reason.thanks for the help.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
I use " how to: xxxx moddedmustangs.com" since to mm search button doesn't work for me. You can rent the removal tools from autozone for 25.00 I think. Or use the grease , or paper towel trick.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use " how to: xxxx moddedmustangs.com" since to mm search button doesn't work for me. You can rent the removal tools from autozone for 25.00 I think. Or use the grease , or paper towel trick.
alright im basically at autozone everyday since i live a few blocks away.thanks for the advice.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
May want to pick up transmission fluid and pb blaster too. Make sure you have extensions and swivels. gasket for the mid pipe(depending on what mid pipe you have) torque wrench too

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Torque wrench, various sockets, different size extensions for 3/8s and 1/2 drive, hammer, swivels for 3/8s and 1/2 drive, a little grease, a lot of patience.

Honestly, I replaced my clutch a month of so ago and it was the first time I had ever replaced one. It's not that bad. Took around 10 hours. I could probably do it again in 6 now that I know how to get those top 2 bellhousing bolts out and the top starter bolt.

For the top starter bolt, I just used a 6" extension on a 3/8s ratchet with a 13mm? socket and I could squeeze my hand in and get enough torque on the top bolt to get it loose. It's not that bad. For the top bellhousing bolts I used socket-->Swivel-->2 foot of extension->1/2 inch ratchet. The hard part was breaking the damn things loose. They were torqued so much that the extensions were twisting instead of turning the bolt. Might want to grab a breaker bar or a big box end wrench for extra leverage. It also helps to get the car about 2 foot in the air. The tallest SAFE jackstands you can find. The only thing you need to torque is the flywheel and the pressure plate bolts.

Tip for getting the pilot bearing out is the bread or wet paper trick. I personally used the bread trick seen here

Here is my parts list from when I did my clutch. These are the cheapest prices I could find for these particular parts. Check with your local Ford dealership, I managed to get my TOB, Pivot ball stud, Pilot bearing, Clutch Fork, and Throw out bearing CHEAPER at the dealership. Just ask them if they can give you any discounts. My dad gets stuff just a little over dealer cost because he works for Duke Energy.

Valeo Cobra Clutch Kit - $259: http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-clutch-11-cobra-gt-valeo-2.html
OEM Ford TOB (Clutch Release Bearing) - $50.70: Part Number 7548 http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...search=true&year=2003&make=Ford&model=Mustang
OEM Ford Pilot Bearing - $13.20: Part Number 7120 http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...search=true&year=2003&make=Ford&model=Mustang
OEM Ford Clutch Cable - $74.97 http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...age=product_info&cPath=50_160&products_id=897
OEM Ford Clutch Fork (Clutch Release Arm) - $20 Part Number M-7515-A
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7658
MM Firewall Adjuster - $39.95 http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...age=product_info&cPath=50_162&products_id=500
Pivot Ball - $24.99 - http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-7602/79-04-Mustang-Clutch-Fork-Pivot-Stud

If you need anything else, just PM me with your questions and I'll get back to you ASAP.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Torque wrench, various sockets, different size extensions for 3/8s and 1/2 drive, hammer, swivels for 3/8s and 1/2 drive, a little grease, a lot of patience.

Honestly, I replaced my clutch a month of so ago and it was the first time I had ever replaced one. It's not that bad. Took around 10 hours. I could probably do it again in 6 now that I know how to get those top 2 bellhousing bolts out and the top starter bolt.

For the top starter bolt, I just used a 6" extension on a 3/8s ratchet with a 13mm? socket and I could squeeze my hand in and get enough torque on the top bolt to get it loose. It's not that bad. For the top bellhousing bolts I used socket-->Swivel-->2 foot of extension->1/2 inch ratchet. The hard part was breaking the damn things loose. They were torqued so much that the extensions were twisting instead of turning the bolt. Might want to grab a breaker bar or a big box end wrench for extra leverage. It also helps to get the car about 2 foot in the air. The tallest SAFE jackstands you can find. The only thing you need to torque is the flywheel and the pressure plate bolts.

Tip for getting the pilot bearing out is the bread or wet paper trick. I personally used the bread trick seen here Pilot bearing removal with bread - YouTube

Here is my parts list from when I did my clutch. These are the cheapest prices I could find for these particular parts. Check with your local Ford dealership, I managed to get my TOB, Pivot ball stud, Pilot bearing, Clutch Fork, and Throw out bearing CHEAPER at the dealership. Just ask them if they can give you any discounts. My dad gets stuff just a little over dealer cost because he works for Duke Energy.

Valeo Cobra Clutch Kit - $259: 2001-2004 Ford Mustang GT Mach 1 1999, 2001 Cobra 11" Clutch Kit - UPR Products
OEM Ford TOB (Clutch Release Bearing) - $50.70: Part Number 7548 FordParts.com
OEM Ford Pilot Bearing - $13.20: Part Number 7120 FordParts.com
OEM Ford Clutch Cable - $74.97 MM Clutch Cable, Universal Mustang, Ford OEM, 1982-04 [MMCL-11] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
OEM Ford Clutch Fork (Clutch Release Arm) - $20 Part Number M-7515-A
1996-2004 MUSTANG CLUTCH RELEASE LEVER | Part Details for M-7515-A | Ford Racing Performance Parts
MM Firewall Adjuster - $39.95 Firewall Adjuster for Mustang Clutch Cable, 1982-2004 [MMCL-3] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
Pivot Ball - $24.99 - 1979-04 Mustang Clutch Fork Pivot Stud, T5, T45, Tr3650 at LRS - Free Shipping!

If you need anything else, just PM me with your questions and I'll get back to you ASAP.
thanks for the reply my car has 69k miles on it. i purchased it about a week ago. do you think i would need all those other parts or just a clutch kit and either resurfacing or replacing the flywheel should be enough. thanks

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
thanks for the reply my car has 69k miles on it. i purchased it about a week ago. do you think i would need all those other parts or just a clutch kit and either resurfacing or replacing the flywheel should be enough. thanks
I would replace everything and do it right the first time. Like CAbikejumper said, throw the TPB and Pilot bearing that comes with the kit away and buy the OEM ford parts. Make sure you replace the fork and the pivot ball stud because these can be worn and cause the fork to sit at an odd angle, making the clutch extremely stiff (Ask how I know...). When I paid someone to do my clutch 2 years ago, these weren't replaced and gave my 2 years of clutch problems. Do it all while you're in there and you shouldn't have to do it again for 5 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts