Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I searched for the UPR catted x and didn't find much, so I am asking here. Would this be a difficult install for someone with slight mechanical knowledge? I have changed oil, air filters, brake pads etc., but have never done anything with exhaust. My car has a slp loudmouth 1 catback that was professionally installed, so i would not have to cut my catback at all as it is modular. Its just a good deal for a catted x brand new for $270

Also, I have heard the O/R pipe fitment is pretty good, how about the catted x?

And how would the sound be? I have seen clips on youtube but was wondering how much louder it would actually be coming from the stock h pipe.

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Its a pretty straight forward install. Only hard thing would be getting the bolts off. nice03gt did mine in about an hour, and I "helped" mainly passed whatever he needed lol. Make sure you get the gasket for the passenger side and the adapter for the drivers side. If you dont you will have an exhaust leak and your mpg will go down significantly and you will burn plugs. I learned the hard way -_-

Personally I dont think its loud at all. Maybe because I have chambered mufflers, but regardless it sounds amazing. Just not as loud as people said it would be. Idk what they go for with cats on them, But I got my off road upr only 3 months old for $120.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
slp lm1 are going to be super loud, there straight threw mufflers and may sound like dog poop, imo
but your getting catted xpipe why? there still not going to pass ca emissions bc there not carb approved....

install is straight forward, just remember to unplug your battery because 2 bolts are next to the starter. 1st time will take you close to 2 hours, but after installing a few it takes me 45mins to an hour on the ground.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
UPR has good fitment from what i've heard.

A catted x with slps is going to sound real good. But id you go with an o/r x, it'll become very loud and raspy.

And if you've don brakes, this midpipe is a no brainer. Unscrew 8 nuts and 4 o2 sensors and drop it. Then put the new pipe in and screw it in. You'll also have to buy a new gasket for the passenger side.

·
( o )( o )
276 Posts
My catted UPR X-pipe fit perfectly fine. Soak some of the bolts with PB Blaster or any kind of penetrating spray. The hardest part will be the bolts that connect the X-pipe to the headers. When you tighten everything up, jack up on the x-pipe, then tighten down so it doesn't hang low. Mine does hang little low which I have read previously.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks for all of the help. I think it will pass emissions because CA techs around here do not do a visual, just a sniffer. Anyways i will keep my stock h pipe if it wont pass. I think an o/r x would be too raspy as well so I am thinking of going catted. It already sounds pretty good below 2k rpm just want a little more sound in the upper range.

So get both a pass and driver side header gasket?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
So get both a pass and driver side header gasket?

if your buying it new just get the passenger side 7 bucks at autozone
driver side comes with it

·
Registered
380 Posts
No way will those cats pass with a sniffer. I have a BBK catted X on my GT and I can smell the hydrocarbons spewing out of the exhaust. Those cats are pretty much designed to just get you passed a visual and emissions (plug in) test and that's about it. That said, I hate the way the passenger side part of the midpipe bolts up to the exhaust manifold. Makes it very prone to an exhaust leak (i'm dealing with that problem now!)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
No way will those cats pass with a sniffer. I have a BBK catted X on my GT and I can smell the hydrocarbons spewing out of the exhaust. Those cats are pretty much designed to just get you passed a visual and emissions (plug in) test and that's about it. That said, I hate the way the passenger side part of the midpipe bolts up to the exhaust manifold. Makes it very prone to an exhaust leak (i'm dealing with that problem now!)
False. I have a bbk catted x and I passed a sniffer.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard the bbk's leak alot. I have not heard much about the upr, but at 270 its a bargain. Lets hope this baby seals well...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
^^ just got catless and swap your pipe for smog

False. I have a bbk catted x and I passed a sniffer.

ur in NJ you guys care more about snookie then the environment :gayfight2:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol I could care less. But if I dont have to change it every check that would be fine with me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just pulled the trigger. Should be here next week!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
My catted UPR X-pipe fit perfectly fine. Soak some of the bolts with PB Blaster or any kind of penetrating spray. The hardest part will be the bolts that connect the X-pipe to the headers. When you tighten everything up, jack up on the x-pipe, then tighten down so it doesn't hang low. Mine does hang little low which I have read previously.
what he said^

mine hangs a little low too but nothing terrible. It sounds absolutely GREAT. You'll love it OP.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright one last question. Would i get enough clearance with just front ramps/jackstands or should i use front and back? If so I might have to go get some more jackstands... I have to get gaskets anyways

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
I always just jack the front of the car up and put it on two stands. I've literally swapped midpipes about 20 times before. I just crawl under the car on my back with it on stands and take care of the 4 manifold collector bolts. Then shimmy out from under the car. Reverse process for install lol. I usually lay the midpipe on my chest to hold it in place for install. It's really easy and UPR midpipes fit perfect in my experience.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright thank you very much. I think i will just try it on ramps first and see if I get enough clearance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts