Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've managed to get the old head unit out, I bought a wiring harness that is supposedly compatible with my car (kinda don't think it is). The harness has a gray and black plug, the gray one connects no problem, but the black one, that has all the speakers on it, has NO place to go. Anyways, I need some info as to how to wire that beast. I've been playing with it all morning to no avail. Also, it isn't a mach system, its just a base stereo. Any words of wisdom from anyone?

·
Registered
123 Posts
What kind of stereo are you putting in, and do you have pics of the harness your connecting? I remember doing my stereo on mine but it was a mach... such a pita

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the harness that i know where it goes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the harness for the speaker wires I can't find.

This is what was unplugged from the upper radio portion.

This was unplugged from the cd player or bottom portion.

And thats the whole mess together.

So my question is....which one of those has the speaker wires?

·
Registered
123 Posts
gimme a few, im gonna go yank mine out real quick and get an idea, its been a while. However, something tells me its not the right harness.. Did you order off of crutchfield or sonicelectronix?

Edit: Are you sure you don't have the mach 460 system? Because I believe in the 3rd picture, the 2 grey wires go through the factory amplifiers and to your speakers. Here's a pic of mine to show reference:

As you can see, the wires connecting into it are white, grey, purple (the colors of the speaker wire)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705510/Ford-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977

I believe that is the wiring harness that you need, However if your head unit only has 2 RCA inputs in the back, you'll have to sacrafice either your front or rear speakers. My head unit only has 2 preouts and I think it sounds just fine with only my front speakers running

edit edit: Ill be out and about for a bit, but ill try and check up on this when I can, and maybe others have some input if you have any other questions

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well either way, you'll need that wiring harness that I linked, I just noticed in your last pic, under where your cd player used to be, that's a factory amplifier. Theres one there and one in teh back of your car somewhere.
you need this harness, it plugs into the back of your HU in the RCA input and output

·
Registered
19 Posts
what i did with all my speaker wiring is i just adjust the fade and balance to one speaker at a time and just match up wires until i figure out which speaker is what according to each wire if one is not marked

·
Registered
123 Posts
He doesn't have individual speaker wires, theyre connected in the grey wires hes holding in the 3rd picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Edit: Are you sure you don't have the mach 460 system? Because I believe in the 3rd picture, the 2 grey wires go through the factory amplifiers and to your speakers. Here's a pic of mine to show reference:
+1
I was just gonna point out that the big ol hunking piece of silver/gray metal underneath where the OEM CD player was mounted is a factory amp. BTW: I pulled that piece of crap out since mine wasn't working & I needed the additional space it was taking up.

So you don't have the correct wiring harness. I went through the same issue last year with the stereo install on my '00 'stang. The wiring harness @cbobruk linked is the correct one for your model year. Check out this website & download this pdf file to see the correct schematic.

The Install Doctor

1. Click "INSTALL IT YOURSELF"
2. Select "Ford / Lincoln"
3. Select "Mustang"
4. Next to "Radio Installation", Select "View PDF"

After you download, you'll find your solution on page 6 of this pdf doc in the section entitled "Wire New Radio".

Eventually, I just ran 16 AUG speaker wire from my aftermarket receiver to each individual speaker. I used better speaker wiring than OEM so it sounded much better. Most recently I installed (2) amps in the trunk so that's what is powering my mids/highs right now... I hope this helps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I got it figured out guys, I'm just gunna take the factory amp out and wire in the speakers to the new head unit, that way I can still keep my rca cables open, cause I plan on using those later on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts