Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to swap out my ruined 99 engine with an 03 Mach1 engine. Are they compatible? Both are 4.6 DOHC. The seller says he doesn't think it will work. He has a 99 engine, but it will be about $600 more.
Anyone know of a good deal on a 99 engine?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Yeah should work almost as a direct replacement.
It's almost the same motor. The Mach 1 has a higher CR (read: more power!), slightly better flowing heads, and if it's the 5spd version has a forged crank. You might have to do some intake swapping, but overall it's almost identical. If anything I think you're gaining more from the Mach engine for $600 less.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i thought the mach 1 motor was the same motor as the cobra motor just different intake and heads. meaning same block and updated heads.

·
Banned
416 Posts
i thought the mach 1 motor was the same motor as the cobra motor just different intake and heads. meaning same block and updated heads.
The rods MIGHT be the same, but the pistons are not...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Make sure its from a 5speed version so you get a forged crank. Otherwise, you can spend half the money and buy an Aviator/Marauder engine and put your intake on it.

·
Banned
416 Posts
If I were you, and if you do get the Mach engine, I would swap your 99 cams into the Mach 1 engine. It will make more power like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts