Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on deleting my ac since it doesn't work and i don't really use it anyway along with my smog pump in the near future, so is it better to just delete both along with all the components and just run a shorter pulley or get one of those delete pulleys from AM? i would prefer to just delete them, run a shorter pulley and just reroute the belt to free up some extra space

also if i delete the smog pump can i just simply cap off the air line that runs from the pump to my midpipe and plug the holes in the back of the heads? will this effect the computer and how it drives or kill my gas mileage?

·
Registered
566 Posts
FWIW: If you removed the smog pump and still have catalytic converters, they will ultimately clog and fail.

The Thermactor Air Pump (smog pump) supplies air to the heads or catalytic converters. This air helps break down the excess HC (hydrocarbons) and CO (carbon monoxide). The air supplied to the catalytic converters helps create the catalytic reaction that changes the HC & CO into CO2 and water vapor. Catalytic converters on 5.0 Mustangs are designed to use the extra air provided by the smog pump. Without the extra air, the catalytic converters will clog and fail.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i run catless along with the delete ill be ok? i was planning on running a catless x when i have the money and just swapping the catted one in for inspection.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Depending on the county, cars and trucks 96 and newer get the sniffer here in PA. Anything 95 or older is just a visual. All the stations do is check that the parts are there, but because there is no sniffer they dont have to be working.

Find a spent catted pipe, cut the cats off then gut them, weld in a straight pipe, reweld the shields back on so it looks like you still have cats, and then gut the pump. It takes time, but it does work and you never have to worry about replacing the cats or pump again. Im in Dauphin and as long as my emissions look intact im good to go. For now.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on the county, cars and trucks 96 and newer get the sniffer here in PA. Anything 95 or older is just a visual. All the stations do is check that the parts are there, but because there is no sniffer they dont have to be working.

Find a spent catted pipe, cut the cats off then gut them, weld in a straight pipe, reweld the shields back on so it looks like you still have cats, and then gut the pump. It takes time, but it does work and you never have to worry about replacing the cats or pump again. Im in Dauphin and as long as my emissions look intact im good to go. For now.
yea im a 94 so i dont think ill have a problem with the sniffer

is there any danger in not running a smog pump as long as i delete the cats and plug the holes in the back of the heads?

·
Registered
201 Posts
you could always talk to some of the local shops and see what they will do, maybe there is someone you know that knows someone. I have somg and a/c delete on mine with o/r h pipe and no issues here. Of course they're probably a little more lax here in NC. It still doesnt hurt to check around though, fb93 has good advice too.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I heard that its a really bad thing to do deleting the smog on these mustangs even without cats. I have read some horror stories out there but if its possible this is the place with the knowledge to find out how

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I heard that its a really bad thing to do deleting the smog on these mustangs even without cats. I have read some horror stories out there but if its possible this is the place with the knowledge to find out how

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
other than adding air to the exhaust it doesnt do anything but make for cleaner emissions, correct? i dont see how it could harm anything as long as your not running cats

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You can keep the pump and delete the cats but if you delete the cats, delete the pump to. Dont leave the hollowed out cats as is tho, there is a slight loss of torque and the exhaust sounds hollow. Weld straight pipes in there to keep things flowing smoothly. I kept all vac lines, hoses, and sensors associated with smog hooked up so the computer doesnt trip the check engine light. You can pass the visual no problem, but if you remove the sensors and stuff that check engine light can still fail you should it stay lit during inspection.

I gutted everything out of frustration. My 93 kept eating pumps and the driver side cat started to rattle after a bad judgement call with a speed bump, and cats are expensive. I didnt cap or plug anything tho. Hasnt seemed to hurt anything.

Just in case the state law changes, i do have another catted pipe and two smog pumps should i need them. Not that it would pass a sniffer anyway.

The air pump does have 'some' value even without the cats but its there mainly for the cats. Basically, air from the pump is sent to a bypass valve right after the pump. After that is a divertor valve where the air can take one of two paths. One is to the cats, the other is to the engine. Depending on what the O2 sensors see, the divertor sends the air to the cats to clean up the exhaust, or its sent to the engine if the a/f mixture needs the extra air. If niether the cats or engine need the extra air, it gets dumped back into the atmosphere.

I havent heard of anything bad yet by not having cats while keeping the pump. Without cats, the air that would normally be sent to them is simply pushed out the tailpipes with the rest of the exhaust. No harm in that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.