Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I fixed my a/c a couple weeks ago. New hoses, o-rings, cycle switch, oil, vacuumed it and converted to r134a. It blows nice and ice cold. It's great. But it really doesn't blow that hard unless I set the blower on max and all the way on high. And even at that it doesn't seem like it's blowing hard enough. Like it doesn't really even move my hair. It keeps it cool inside but when I get in my car and blast the a/c I wanna feel that air blasting in my face. And it almost seems like the passenger side vents blow harder than the drivers side. So I close the far right one and try to aim the middle two and left one at me but it's still just not enough. The blower is definitely working good. It's pushing a lot of air, or it sounds like it at least. And it does this on heat and a/c so it's gotta be an air flow issue or blower issue I feel.

So what could this be? Debris blocking the evaporator? Worn out blower wheel? Help! Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Ryan
18 Posts
have you tried blowing some of that dust off spray into the ducts? Like Towelie said, if it's coming out of the defrost ports on the dash, then your vents are just clogged

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Sounds like you have more than one issue.

If its not blowing as hard as it used to its either a bad blower motor or the blower motor resistor. A bad resistor can prevent the blower motor from getting full power. The resistor is easy to get to, but the right side of the heater box has to come out for the blower motor.

As for the driver side feeling weaker than the passenger side, they (along with the center vents) share the same door inside the heater box so if one side or the center is working, the door (and the motor that operates it) isnt the problem. The problem is either a cracked tube, a blockage, or the vent itself is broken. Unless the vent took a direct heavy hit it should be just fine. To check it anyway grab a flashlight and take a look inside. If the small door behind it moves with the dial, the vent is ok. That leaves a cracked tube or a blockage. Unless you have tiny hands the only way to get back there is to the pull the dash.

If the defroster isnt working at all id say the motor controlling the door is stuck shut, blocking airflow to the windshield. Its holding vacuum, but isnt releasing it. My guess is the motor or the heater controls have gone bad.

The 'air to instrument panel registers' leads to the left, right and center dash vents. The 'air to windshield outlets' leads to the windshield and the two small vents above the dash speakers. They all share the same door (and motor controlling it) in the heater case.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm at work right now and will read all that in a little bit. I know it will be helpful so thanks Ryan. You're always a big help.

I just wanted to add that I've never had working a/c in this car so I don't know if it did this before. I tried the a/c once when I bought it to see if it blew cold and didn't pay attention to how hard it blew. I also wanted to add that ever since I fixed the a/c my check engine light will randomly come on and flash when I'm on a long drive on the highway. I'll be checking the codes today. Another thing, when the a/c is on and I put the car in neutral and am coming to a stop the rpms will drop down to like 400 and it will catch itself then surge a bit until I come to a stop. But it only does it when the a/c is on. And when the a/c is on it drops my rpms a bit when I'm idling. I did have a vacuum line I forgot to put on and have since fixed that. Also, if I turn the blower speed on max it won't blow on max. I have to slowly turn it up from the second highest to the highest setting and it'll work fine. And another thing, my car gets super warm idling now with the A/c on. I'm sure that is just because if the hot condenser sitting I front of the radiator. And I have a cheap 1 row autozone replacement radiator.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
That sucker is always going to get warm with the a/c on idling in the heat. My old vortech fox did, and so does my dads on here. His car stays super cool without it too, prob too cold.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok new problem. I noticed I'm leaking water from what looks like my floorboard underneath the car. I didn't notice any trickling from anywhere above. Looks like it's coming straight out of the floorboard. And only after I shut the car off when I've had the a/c on. Blocked evap core drain tube? How do I fix this?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Pop the hood. Is it coming from the drain on the engine side of the firewall next to the header? If so, thats normal...providing it is only water. It will drain while the a/c is in use and a little bit after. All cars do this. If there is coolant in it, your heater core has sprung a leak.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pop the hood. Is it coming from the drain on the engine side of the firewall next to the header? If so, thats normal...providing it is only water. It will drain while the a/c is in use and a little bit after. All cars do this. If there is coolant in it, your heater core has sprung a leak.

I'll check next time I drive it. I just glanced and couldn't really tell where exactly it was coming from. Looks clear like water. Heater core is bypassed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If it's not blowing hard enough and your blower motor is pushing air, your evaporator fins are probably blocked up with trash.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I just went through a lot of trouble with my ac and finally got it working well. I would check a couple of things. if the fan seems to be blowing hard and the blower motor has not been replaced the first thing I would check is the vacuum tube going to the vac canister in the passenger wheel well. mine had a hairline crack and everytime I accelerated the vacuum would drop and the vac motors would lose vacuum. I thought the blower motor was quitting but it was just getting quiet because the air intake was closing. I checked it and as I gently pulled on this vac line it snapped in two. I spliced it with a short length of vac hose and zip strips and it is working better.

the other issue I had was the stupid chinese replacement blower motor wires were backward from what they should be. the orange wire had to connect to the black and the black to the orange. my blower motor was blowing backward. it still blew out the vents but not as much as it should. check out my thread weird ac blower motor problem it might help you some.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know, I was messing with it yesterday and realized the blower really isn't spinning that fast. I only thought it was loud because when it's on the Max A/C setting it opens that door in the housing and sounds loud. But when it's on normal a/c setting, it damn near barely moves any air and you can hardly even hear the blower motor. So I think I might change the motor and maybe the resister while I'm in there. I saw your thread mustanggarage with the install which will help me a ton thanks to the pictures lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just went through a lot of trouble with my ac and finally got it working well. I would check a couple of things. if the fan seems to be blowing hard and the blower motor has not been replaced the first thing I would check is the vacuum tube going to the vac canister in the passenger wheel well. mine had a hairline crack and everytime I accelerated the vacuum would drop and the vac motors would lose vacuum. I thought the blower motor was quitting but it was just getting quiet because the air intake was closing. I checked it and as I gently pulled on this vac line it snapped in two. I spliced it with a short length of vac hose and zip strips and it is working better.

the other issue I had was the stupid chinese replacement blower motor wires were backward from what they should be. the orange wire had to connect to the black and the black to the orange. my blower motor was blowing backward. it still blew out the vents but not as much as it should. check out my thread weird ac blower motor problem it might help you some.
This second paragraph was a LIFE SAVER! Replaced my A/C Evaporator Core, Heater Core, Blower Motor, Blower Motor Resistor, and Blower Motor Wheel. The new Blower Motor came with no connector, one black wire and one orange wire. So naturally, I spliced the wires together, color for color. When reinstalled and all back together, no air was blowing through the vents. I checked everything but could not find the problem. So I pulled the HVAC box again to check all components but to no avail. Once put back together again, still no air from vents. Came across this post while searching for a solution. Read about the orange and black wires needing to be wired "in reverse." I knew right then and there that that would solve the problem. Amazingly that was it - problem solved!!! Thank you, MUSTANGGARAGE!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts