Modded Mustang Forums banner

A/C issues...

1K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  1rnkpny 
#1 ·
just wanted to kno if this has happened to anyone. well it isnt a question about my car its for a friend he has a 05 gt.. anyways, when the a/c is on, it wont blow air outta the front vents on the dash.. it'll come out everywhere else but there... its like its clogged or something b/c when u have it set to the max a/c setting where its supposed to come out the dash vents it just blows out at your feet.. i told him there mite me a mouse nest or something in there... but before we go tearing apart the dash i wanted to see if any of you have had this problem and what caused it.. also any tip on how to fix it? thanks

#2 ·
I'm not sure how these cars are set up, but usually there is a flap/door thingy that closes of the dash vents when you turn the climate control to certain settings. I would start there. Follow the vents to where they split off of the other ducts. Either the flap thingy is stuck or the actuator/relay circut has an issue.

#10 ·
In behind the dash in the air distribution box, There is a mode door to change from outside air to recirc, there is a mode door for temperature select (warm air->heater core, cool air->bypasses heater core), then there is a mode door to distribute the air anywhere from defrost, to vent, to floor.

That is a dash out repair. A/C has to be evacuated in order to remove the distribution box. (Do not release 134A to the atmoshere)

One question, Are you able to get air flow through the vents when the heat is turned on? Or does it always not blow through the vents?

Dual climate control is a whole different ball game.

#11 ·
This is about my car...and no...doesnt matter what setting i have it on...hot/cold/ac none of it comes out of the dash at you...the max ac automatically pushes to the floor and i mean pushes hard like when you close off a bunch of vents and only leave one open

#14 ·
if neither of you know anything about HVAC systems, then your best bet is to take it to a professional. These types of repairs can get complicated, especially if the dash has to come out.

#17 ·
Now how much labor cost could i possibly be looking at for this? I will just do it myself if all i have to do is remove the dash and flip some flap over or tack it down. I didnt want to have to take the dash apart but im not about to pay 500 bucks for labor for someone to take my dash out and push a flap over

#18 ·
Well you may have to replace the blend door assembly. As far as labor though, I'll guess and say 4 hours. Dealer will probably charge 100-110 an hour. I would suggest doing it yourself if your comfortable with a wrench

#20 ·
Labour time is 5.7hrs for evaporator (which is inside the air distribution box). Of course typically shops charge an additional 1.0 hr for A/C recover/recharge, then you'll have parts on top of that if needed. For them to diagnose it you'll probably look at .5hr-2.0 hrs diag.

#21 ·
Yeah initially you'd probably be at an hour or so do diagnose. There are a lot of divertor door issues that can be fixed without removing the dash, which would make it not so bad. But if the dash ahs to come out, it has to come put.

Keep in mind when we talk about that, we aren't talking about pulling a trim panel off like to put a radio in. We are talking about removing the ENTIRE dash assembly, down to a bare firewall. So you gotta be real comfortable working on cars to do that.

#23 ·
When I do **** like that I take pictures as I go along. Just in case you get to a point and say "Now where did that go.......I think it attached there but it doesn't seem to fit."

#25 ·
If it is just the control head (the thing with the three knobs on it, fan / temp / mode as well as A/C & recirc buttons) I have a brand new one from a 2006 I will sell...PM me if it is needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.