Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have some questions about my 2.3 Mustang Automatic. First is, when the motor is hot and I try to start it, I have to floor it to get it running. Is there some type of idle sensor or something? It starts fine when I first start it in the morning, but, say, in a parking lot at the store, it won't start without pushing it to the floor.

Another question is how long will my motor/tranny last? The whole car has 283,000 miles on it with stock engine/tranny(it was a commuter for several people before I bought it cheap). It's an automatic and shifts fine in Drive, but not when I put it all the way down to 1. I just want to use the car to drive, but I want to do body work and paint on it in the near future. Should I look into a swap before doing body and paint?

I'm really enjoying these forums and I'm glad there is a community for 2.3's! Thanks for your help,

Don

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey guys, I have some questions about my 2.3 Mustang Automatic. First is, when the motor is hot and I try to start it, I have to floor it to get it running. Is there some type of idle sensor or something? It starts fine when I first start it in the morning, but, say, in a parking lot at the store, it won't start without pushing it to the floor.

Another question is how long will my motor/tranny last? The whole car has 283,000 miles on it with stock engine/tranny(it was a commuter for several people before I bought it cheap). It's an automatic and shifts fine in Drive, but not when I put it all the way down to 1. I just want to use the car to drive, but I want to do body work and paint on it in the near future. Should I look into a swap before doing body and paint?

I'm really enjoying these forums and I'm glad there is a community for 2.3's! Thanks for your help,

Don
hi don.

welcome to the forum, and a hot start problem could be a large variety of things related to the fuel system.

Is your check engine light on?
If so, run your codes and see whats causing the light to illuminate.

Does the car run fine otherwise?
Other symptoms can many times be associated with the main issue, so if there are any other drivability hiccups, now is the time to mention it.

Do you have a factory repair manual?
If not, before you wrench on your car - buy one. And I don't mean a chilton or haynes. Find a Ford Service Manual for your given year and model - many are up for sale typically on ebay.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The check engine light is not on. I'll run the codes when I get a chance. The car does run fine otherwise. I'll try to get one of those repair manuals soon. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my motor blew a couple days ago. Darn...And I just got a job too! No transportation, no money, and a 1993 Mustang Coupe with a bad 2.3.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Time to rebuild her. Did you ever figure out the starting problem?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No, I didn't. Guess what I found? A turbo T-Bird motor on craigslist for $350 with 87,000 miles with a wiring harness for a 93 mustang. All the oil lines, intercooler, bolts, sensors, computer, everything. I'll have to go check it out soon.

·
Registered
660 Posts
helluva deal - i wouldn't let that one get away.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Awesome find!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This sucks....if you didn't know, i'm 16 and my dad won't let me get it. Can't go against my dad, sorry. It needed a rebuild, which is fine for me, but my dad doesn't want me to not have a car, so he's going over to the junkyard next week and is putting another running 2.3 N/A back in for my transportation to work and what not. I didn't really understand why he didn't want me to do a rebuild on my own, it would be my first. He built a 350 V8 for his first car, '40 Ford Coupe, himself when he was 15! What a bummer. Old 2.3 still runs though! Haha, on three cylinders...Blew a piston and head gasket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts