Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to the local mechanic today and was asking about gears and how much for install. he pretty much steered me away from gears unless i want to get 3:73s which even then he said for a 17 year old with a daily driver gas would kill me. he tried to tell me to go forced induction and i said i didnt want to spend that much nor did i want to sacrifice the reliability and longevity of my engine. so we started talking about heads and cams:D. he was talking about how bad the heads flow on these 2 valves.

1. he said i should have about 350 hp and about 400 ft-lbs of tq is this an a good estimate?
2. he was looking on jegs.com at ford racing heads/cams and said theyd be the best and most reliably for a dd application like mine is this true?
3. he estimated about 1500-2000 for parts and labor (no labor for cams because hes already in there doing the heads) is this a good deal?
4. are stage 2 heads/cams safe to run in my dd or should they only be used for track cars due to rough idle?

thanks guys sorry i dont know **** about heads/cams but now im pretty sure im going n/a with my car.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I installed 4.10s in my gt ,I get better gas mileage than with 3.27s .more fun to drive..and I drive on the hi-way..I forget about the cams and get nitrous nx plate system..this is my opinion ...oh plus a tuner

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i got nitrous id just waste it all on purging in front of ricers and camaros. and i will certainly be getting a tuner regardless of my plans.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have 4.10s in my car and do most of my driving in the city. I get anywhere from 200-225 per tank city driving. When I drove to my parents home in KY I got close to 350 on a full tank all interstate driving. If you're looking for gas mileage then you got into the wrong hobby. As far as the heads and cams go he's a little off. I'm sure some of the guys on here that have heads and cams can chime in. I think you're looking at maybe 320rwhp.

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah well i think he was implying crank hp and tq because 350 and 400 sounds to far off to the wheels

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
That guy doesn't know what he's talking about as far as the gears go. Plenty of people have 4.10s and their fuel economy stays the same or increases.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you can manage to get the cash together, a properly set up forced induction won't sacrifice any reliability or longevity. Oh yea, and more horsepower :)

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
gearing wont effect your gas mileage that much, find a different shop that guy is a moron

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
the guy is smart.... he went from you wanting to pay him ~$400 for a gear install to $1500-2000

do the gears, it wont hurt you

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
yeah that guy sounds dumb as hell and if you just get heads and cams you probably wont even be at 300 to the wheels to tell you the truth.. because i have done a **** load of research on heads and cams because i just order all of my stuff.. but i have all the bolt ons plus a few other things and i should be if not less at about 320 to the wheels with just heads and cams and a tune.. you should be at about 280 to the wheels.. plus you need some injectors.. so that price will go up

·
Registered
806 Posts
back on the topic of heads and cams, no way 2000 for parts and labor, double that

heads around 1500
cams 600
labor.....
tune 300

thats almost 2500 right there plus labor

and with stage 2 heads/stage 2 cams/headers. you can expect low 300s, not 350. and the tq is usually around the same, maybe a lil higer

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
ummm no with heads and cams you might be at like 280 cuz you dont have anything else to go along with it. intake, full exhaust, and other much need things... **** you will be luck to be at 280 with just heads and cams

·
Registered
468 Posts
doesnt ford racing only sell stock pi heads, not ported?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yall are lucky... I get 215 miles per tank from a mix of city and int driving.... But I changed my plugs, so that should help alot.. The stock plugs were still in and it has 90k miles... I gotta fix my 02 sensor prob, then thatll get me better gas mileage, then air filter, then fuel filter... all that will help alot....

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
so i went to the local mechanic today and was asking about gears and how much for install. he pretty much steered me away from gears unless i want to get 3:73s which even then he said for a 17 year old with a daily driver gas would kill me. he tried to tell me to go forced induction and i said i didnt want to spend that much nor did i want to sacrifice the reliability and longevity of my engine. so we started talking about heads and cams:D. he was talking about how bad the heads flow on these 2 valves.

1. he said i should have about 350 hp and about 400 ft-lbs of tq is this an a good estimate?
2. he was looking on jegs.com at ford racing heads/cams and said theyd be the best and most reliably for a dd application like mine is this true?
3. he estimated about 1500-2000 for parts and labor (no labor for cams because hes already in there doing the heads) is this a good deal?
4. are stage 2 heads/cams safe to run in my dd or should they only be used for track cars due to rough idle?

thanks guys sorry i dont know **** about heads/cams but now im pretty sure im going n/a with my car.

Wait a minute this jack off told you that gears which should be 600 installed would kill you becuase of gas milage but he wants to sell you a supercharger, heads, cams. I would of drop kicked him.

·
Registered
468 Posts
hahahha...with my blower i can watch the gas gauge move when i boost it

·
Registered
627 Posts
ummm no with heads and cams you might be at like 280 cuz you dont have anything else to go along with it. intake, full exhaust, and other much need things... **** you will be luck to be at 280 with just heads and cams

Just assuming that he has all the other supporting mods he'd be looking at around 320rwhp. I know a guy that put down 305rwhp with all the bolt ons and Comp cams 270s. When I say all the bolt ons were talking about gears, intake, plenum, tb, under drive pulleys, headers, cat back, mid pipe, and a tuner with a good tune.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
yeah... i have heads, crower stage 2 cams with a damn 550/570 lift, injectors, thyphoon intake manifold, 90mm mass air, tb, plenum. just sitting waiting to go on and they really couldnt tell me how much i would be makeing.. all i could be told from a few shops in houston was between 280 and 320 to the wheels. just all depends on who tunes your car and if its a mustang dyno or regular.. but i know from what other people have on they cars and what they dynoed at i should be hitting at 315 to the wheels.. im hopeing and pulling for it

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
^i'll give you 270-280 rwhp with your auto and heads and cams..+full bolt-ons.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts