Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been putting this off due to being busy and when i'm not busy i'm being lazy so it's time for me to figure this stuff out so I can get on with it.

Waxing when it's cold out (below 30 degrees F).
Is this ok? Is it only ok with waxes that don't need to cure?

IPA Ratios
I plan on doing a correction and it will be my first. Son1c posted and said his IPA ratio was 1:1 with 70%. You use the IPA after clay before compound and then after removing the compound before another compound or wax?

Product Removal
I apply the compound (using the DA) then remove it with a micro fiber and IPA wipedown? After that I can just go to the next step.

Product Application
How do you know what speeds to use with the products/pads and for how long to use them? There has to be a point where you should know to stop or know that you need more product or faster/slower application.

So the plan right now is:
Eco-wash (since it's inside)
Clay
Megs UC with a cyan hydro tech pad
Follow that with Megs D151 on a Tangerine pad.
BFWDPS using a crimson pad then some pinnacle liquid wax on there.

Does this look right and if not what steps am I missing here.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Wash clay compound ipa wipedown, d151 then bfwdps, many say bfwdps has no problem bonding with aio, such as d151

Work a compound on speed 5-6
Work it until its basically hazing clear aka spent / worked
The correct ipa ratio is like 1:4 or 1:3 iirc, something like 25 % but I use 1:1 as well as some others on here
Waxing is sort of temperamental, try it and if its hazing then you're good to go, you should be fine

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
The only thing id add to what sonic said is that your IPA ratio is something that is largely preference, i like a pretty strong IPA, 1:1 like sonic said. Just try it and find what you like.

As far was waxing in super cold weather, do be honest the only thing it should effect is how hard the wax is to spread out, that being said, i would probably apply with my bare hands in that temperature, this will help melt the wax down and make it more spreadable, the temperature shouldnt affect how well the wax sticks all that much.

Get a space heater for the inside area that you are doing it, lol.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to grab a space heater from my dad for now I think but I was setting up my lights since I got a couple sets on clearance (set of 1200 watt and set of 250-500-750-1000 watt lights) and was looking to do this but I didn't know if waxing/polishing in the cold would be an issue.

Extremely glad to hear that it's not b/c where the car is, is in my 60'x40' polebarn so it is not going to get really warm in there with a space heater until I put a big wall up about 20' in to break it up. That's where I will be putting cement in so I can have a nice work space. After cement and a wall that place will heat up great.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
x2 ^ lol machs on point today
haha, thanks i try.

I am going to grab a space heater from my dad for now I think but I was setting up my lights since I got a couple sets on clearance (set of 1200 watt and set of 250-500-750-1000 watt lights) and was looking to do this but I didn't know if waxing/polishing in the cold would be an issue.

Extremely glad to hear that it's not b/c where the car is, is in my 60'x40' polebarn so it is not going to get really warm in there with a space heater until I put a big wall up about 20' in to break it up. That's where I will be putting cement in so I can have a nice work space. After cement and a wall that place will heat up great.
If you set all those lights up pointing at your car they will help keep your panels warmer than the ambient temperature, which will help when applying the wax. Then just use the space heater to keep yourself warm, you should be good to go man.

Your workspace sounds awesome, i wish i had a pole barn, aka, a detail barn lol. That much space and you could have a wash/dry room, a paint correction room and an LSP room......yes, i like it. lol

I cant wait to wax my mach, i wanna do it by hand, the only problem is, petes is a wipe on then wipe off wax, no curing, so my hands will be covered in wax while using a microfiber to buff off applied wax, lol. Maybe ill just use a foam applicator lol. ill figure something out.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol yeah it will be really nice when there is cement in there. I cant wait. Very good idea with the lights I didn't even think about that.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Lol yeah it will be really nice when there is cement in there. I cant wait. Very good idea with the lights I didn't even think about that.
You just leave the thinkin to me sir lol.

JP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts