Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so aftering doing more mods recently.. and dont worry pictures coming soon..

mods recently done
lowering
wheels
bumper inserts
black headlights
tinted taillights

i wanna just wrap up mods because i should be spending on other things to be honest but we all know how it is..

decided not to go for an aftermarket bumper, i like the stock one.

aftermarket hood can wait for later.. besides having a cowl hood without the power to backup the mean look is kind of stupid in my opinion.. and supercharger wont come for a long time.

i wanna replace the plastdipped decklid with vinyl.., black fuel door from am, rear valence black vinyl as well..

debadge the car and fill in the holes, also fill in the holes from the spoiler on the trunk.

so what i have left on my list is:
touchscreen radio
install sound system.
talk to my neighbor a couple houses down about doing custom seats and maybe a different type of leather or suede steering wheel wrap if possible?

i also wanna do floor mats new from AM, SIMCO gauge cluster and billet pedals, and maybe full billet interior (knobs,e-brake..etc)

now that would wrap up visual and all that would be left is power but until the main power thing i wanna do gears/tuner kit from AM and cams..

i know nothing about cams.. but i like the lope it makes and wondering how much power id gain from it.., how much itll cost? would i need to get dyno tuned, adjust anything else to get cams? sound difference it would make?

now with gears, my car being an automatic would 4.10s really help my car out as far as power under 60mph? not really street racing or anything i like to cruise in my car and just punch it here and there.
and as for the tuner.. are the tunes they send good? noticeable? worth the 500dollars or so it is? also with the gears/tuner combo from AM could i just install gears and not buy anything extra that i need to make sure everything is proper?

thanks for the help guys..

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Some say cams don't need a tune and get away with it. I plan on doing cams soon and will get a tune. Not only for peace of mind but I want max potential. Cost I would say new would be 5-600 plus tune. I am going to har mine installed, not thy is hard but once again peace I mind. Same with tune, some say thy don't need degreed other get away with it. I want mine degreed. Dyno tunes vary from location, shop around and find a reputable shop. You'll get what you pay for. Join a local forum and ask around if anyone has experience good or bad with different shops.
Gears will require a hand held tuner to calibrate the speedo. Which would drive me nuts if it were off.
As with gears it will be off. You can save a lot of money of carpet mats by just buying a patch and ironing/glueing it on. I will try to find the link.

Hope that helps, it's 4am and I'm going to bed. lol

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
DO NOT GET A TUNE OR TUNER. It will not help you. You are wasting your $$ right now. Your care will not make enough power as is do do anything IMO. Unless there is something I dont' know that a tuner works for with an AUTO over a 5-speed

Get 4:10 for auto for sure!!

What you should do is Gears, then work on some suspention mods. You will notice a diff right away with these two. Gears you will notice ASAP and the suspention the car will feel soooo much better and will put down more power in 1st gear which will make you faster.

If you want better take off I would go for some Upper and lower control arms and subframes. If you want better handeling I would go with lowering springs and sway bars. Then possibly shocks and struts.

Your best bet bro! Good luck

·
K1w1
941 Posts
DO NOT GET A TUNE OR TUNER. It will not help you. You are wasting your $$ right now. Your care will not make enough power as is do do anything IMO. Unless there is something I dont' know that a tuner works for with an AUTO over a 5-speed

Get 4:10 for auto for sure!!
Ummm, if he gets 410s he'll need a tuner for the speedo. And as for a tuner not doing anything, we'll have to disagree fella as mine certainly woke the car up.

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
Ummm, if he gets 410s he'll need a tuner for the speedo. And as for a tuner not doing anything, we'll have to disagree fella as mine certainly woke the car up.
I'd Look for a USED Hypertech or SCT if you can get one for $100 or so. If not I wouldn't spend the money on that. Up to you.

I had a SCT in mine and I took it to get an actual tune and the only thing I gained from the tune was actually knowing what my car put down. It did nothing for power numbers. Having an SCT and using one of their loaded tunes may help a little but I can't say it is worth the $$ it cost vs other mods. I also took that 93 tune and compared it to my stock reset and I really didn't notice too much. ( Remember mine was manual ) Auto guys may have something to say.

Obviously this guy is looking for stuff that is Worth the money. I'm sure others can chime in here but I don't think for the amount of cash a tuner will be it would be wise to spend your $$ there.

I would go for some suspension 1st

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Because your having the cams installed your best bet may be to talk to Modular Head Shop. They offer a cam degree service aand have very good cams as well. It'll cost you about 750.00 in parts and labor but when you take your cams to the shop you choose, they will just have to install your cams. In theory saving you labor on the install. Ball park cam job is about 1000-1500 parts, labor, and degree. I would say 25-30hp is to be expected N/A being you will most likely go with a blower grind. It'll net more when tuned with a blower of course.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay so no cams..

umm so with that gear and tuner package can i just buy it and everything that comes with it is good enough for an install? or do i need to buy other stuff they dont tell me about?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an auto. The sct tuner/Bama tune was awesome. Changed all the shift points and it felt different. Shifts real firm.

I put 410s in like 6 weeks ago and its like a different car. Totally different. Pulls hard and accelerates like a mad man.

I also had comp xe268h cams put in 2 weeks ago and got it tuned. I gained 30rwhp with them. Total cost was $1600. That included the cams, all parts, labor tune, complete package.

If i were you i would highly recommend doing the gear install kit and tuner combo from AM because gears will literally make it feel like you have a different car. Gear install will run you about $275.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts