Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It certainly looks like it has clearance for a double DIN. If no, how much is it off by? Height? Dept?

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
I used to know what a double DIN is but im drawing a blank :dunno

Ive been up an extremly long time give me a break :D

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
It certainly looks like it has clearance for a double DIN. If no, how much is it off by? Height? Dept?
Just a guess but the angle of the dash would cause issues. The floor or a bracket or something would probably get in the way? I haven't messed with my radio area in 15 years so I might be wrong. I had a kit for a DIN and a 1/2 din eq under it. It was a tight fit for the eq and it is not very big depth wise either.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yeah if i were you i would just pull out the stereo and look at it.....its like no life said......the floor is just right under the cd player and with it be angled down i think the cd player would hit the floorr before it was all the way in

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
My CD player is on the bottom, I flipped the plastic mount thing upside down. It fits but it is right up against the carpeting in the back.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The opening is a double din, but whether or not the depth is there, I'm not sure. I plan on putting my double din unit in there when I get the car done and I'm not too worried about getting it to fit. Maybe a little cutting, but I doubt it. The only thing I'm worried about is the face hitting the shifter when it slides down. I'm not sure what unit you are planning, but if it slides out from the bottom, you may have to be in 2nd or 4th for it to work... unless its an auto.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just got my double DIN AVIC-D3. Hooked it up, went to put it in and it hit a mounting bracket. No problem, I just remove it, right? Well, I did, and it helped, but two thick screws are left on the floor where the radio goes. The back of my navigation unit is hitting the screws. How can I get these out? I suspect they are too thick to rip them out with a plyer.

BTW Fogged306, the ejection is on top, so it won't get in the way of my stick. However, when I'm in 1st, 3rd, or 5th gear, my stick gets in the way of the screen a bit, partially blocking view of navigation. Does anyone make a double DIN A/C relocator? I have seen single DIN relocators with guages, but that does me no good.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Not any of the manufacturers that I carry at my store make the double din relocate. That doesn't mean that its not made anywhere, but I do carry the bigger name in dash kits, Metra. Maybe try Scoche? or even a no name company that makes oddball kits.. just hunt around on the search engines. You could fab it yourself, but I'm not sure how much experience you have with that or even what kind of job it is.. I haven't looked at mine in a couple of years. I can tell you it is definitely possible, it all boils down to how much fabbing you want/can do.

Other than that, all I can say is that in about a month or two, when I get my car running, I will be installing my D2 and I can give you a step by step when I'm done.. I'm sure you won't be waiting that long to do it, but just in case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not any of the manufacturers that I carry at my store make the double din relocate. That doesn't mean that its not made anywhere, but I do carry the bigger name in dash kits, Metra. Maybe try Scoche? or even a no name company that makes oddball kits.. just hunt around on the search engines. You could fab it yourself, but I'm not sure how much experience you have with that or even what kind of job it is.. I haven't looked at mine in a couple of years. I can tell you it is definitely possible, it all boils down to how much fabbing you want/can do.

Other than that, all I can say is that in about a month or two, when I get my car running, I will be installing my D2 and I can give you a step by step when I'm done.. I'm sure you won't be waiting that long to do it, but just in case.
Well, let's put it this way. I'm very good at installing radios, even when wiring is completely cut or messed up. I'm average at mounting, but nothing special, as I'm having problems removing screws. :) There is no way I can ever fab my own with it looking decent. I have searched and found nothing. All I've seen are the ones from American Muscle and those are single DIN.

In the meantime, any idea on how to remove those screws, so I can at least mount it on the bottom for now? They are upside down, so I'm guessing they are screwed in from underneat the car?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Well I'm not sure what they are there for, but if you do some investigating and find you can do without them then I would suggest either an airsaw, or a grinder, or something with a cut-off wheel... just make sure that either A: you will still have good thread biting the metal they are screwed into, if they are important screws, or B: that they arent important screws, meaning they are just for clamps holding wires, or screws to hold something in place while it was welded from the factory, ect.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm not sure what they are there for, but if you do some investigating and find you can do without them then I would suggest either an airsaw, or a grinder, or something with a cut-off wheel... just make sure that either A: you will still have good thread biting the metal they are screwed into, if they are important screws, or B: that they arent important screws, meaning they are just for clamps holding wires, or screws to hold something in place while it was welded from the factory, ect.
They are for the bracket. The bracket has two holes, and fits into the screws. Once on, nuts screw onto the screws, holding the bracket in place. It's a tight fit to get any grinder in there, but I will see what I have.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
A measurement of the radio face height. The stock radio in your mustang is a single din. Most GM radios from the 90's and early 2000's were din and a half, and most new cars are now double din, meaning twice the height of the radio in the mustang.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Again, its been many years since I did mine..
Do those bolts come up through the floor through a thread hole? If so, make sure they are not holding something on the under side. I seem to remember them being fairly large bolts. Almost too large for the purpose of only holding that bracket. Seems unlikely and would be an odd design choice but you never know.

My other Mustang came with a DIN with a 7in slide out screen, it hits while while positioning in the odd gears. I never use it so its coming out anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A measurement of the radio face height. The stock radio in your mustang is a single din. Most GM radios from the 90's and early 2000's were din and a half, and most new cars are now double din, meaning twice the height of the radio in the mustang.
Those 1 1/2 DIN look like a probalem. I was looking at my friend's '94 Mustang GT, and it looked like it would be quite a bit of work to get a double DIN in there. Those are 1 1/2 DIN right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts