Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 67 running recently after it sat for about 10 years without being started. New gas tank, cleaned fuel lines, cleaned carb and it runs fine until I try to drive it. It sounded like it was idling too high, and when I hit the brakes to slow down it would stall (i6, 200, automatic). I messed with the carb and now it sounds like it idles fine, and it doesn't stall when slowing down, but it stalls when I hit the gas unless I ease on the gas ever so gently. However, once it is moving I can hit the gas and it goes with no problem. Any ideas of what I need to fix? A friend suggested a vacuum hose, but I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
shut the engine off.look down the throat of the carb.pump the throttle and see if you are getting gas to shoot in the throat.if not the excelarater pump is bad or the circut is clogged.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks. I have looked in the throat of the carb before and saw no gas shooting in when pumping the throttle...where is the accelerator pump?
I'll check the vacuum advance diaphragm, again thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I checked the vacuum advance and the diaphragm looked fine (at least from what I could see of it). I took the carb apart last night and the accelerator pump definitely looked bad so I'll get a rebuild kit and see how that does.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I rebuilt the carb (at least not leaking fuel at the accelerator pump anymore) this weekend and took it out for a test run. Still when I hit the gas it wants to stall; however, if I get the rpm up slightly then punch it it does not stall. It sounds like its idle is too high so I've adjusted the carb settings to try and get it down, but when I put it in gear the idle goes up again. I think the spring on the accelerator assembly needs replaced because when I give it gas it never returns to the low idle I set it to. I can get it back to low idle by lifting the peddle with my foot. After doing this if I hit the gas hard it will stall. I can adjust the accelerator pump a little, but I already set it to specs, think that is what needs done?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
there ports the size of pins in that carb.if they are blocked it will do what you are saying.i think i would make sure the timeing and the valve adjustment is right.and if they are i would get a reman carb.

·
Registered
90 Posts
you can't see a small crack in the vaccum advance diaphram put a timing light on car and see if timing increases with the engine idle. If you don't have a timing light unplug the vaccum hose from the advance and plug the hose and see how it runs. HOpe this helps RED

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.