Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I like when it's shiny.
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a smallish turbo. My goal is around 450 or so at the wheels. That is all I want powerwise outta this car. I'm a total turbo dummy so bear with me please.

Is a smallish turbo setup a cheaper way to get to my requested power level than a blower?

Installation wise is it gonna be much more expensive to install a turbo than a blower?

I have LT's...will they have to be hacked up?

Like I said I have no idea what I'm talking about so if ya can help, thanks. If you would rather tell me to F off thats cool too:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would go with a supercharger if you just want 450whp. If you decide to go turbo you will need to get turbo manifolds and remove the LT's.

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
I would go with a supercharger if you just want 450whp. If you decide to go turbo you will need to get turbo manifolds and remove the LT's.
He would have to remove the longtubes, but he could use stock manifolds or shorty style headers.

Going with a "small" turbo won't really change the cost of a turbo kit a great deal.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I tried to price out a turbo kit myself and using the cheap On3 Performance kit which is like $2000 you still are looking at upwards of $4000-5000 if you do the install yourself. Also yes you would have to cut and bend the LTs to fit the turbo but it would probably be easier and better just to go with regular turbo manifolds.

Honestly a M90 can get you some decent power... not sure if they go 450 to the wheels but they are cheap and you can do the install yourself easier than a turbo.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you are looking for the cheapest way to get 450 rwhp than get a supercharger. AS the others have said you would have to remove your LT's and replace them with the stock manifold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed an On3 kit on my car and it's been flawless since day 1 so far. After every last nut and bolt I had to purchase I was under $4500. This includes an upgrade to a Masterpower MPT70, 42 lb/hr injectors, HPX MAF, KB BAP, SCT programmer, dyno tuning at Fastlane in NC. I was at 488/487 on 8# of boost. Some other guys got out for far cheaper.

The install was fun to me, and only took me about 7 days on jack stands.

Just an my $0.02 on cheap power. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Edit: Also, stock manifolds will work fine for you with most kits.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yeah the On3 kit is a pretty good kit. Fairly cheap and the power level it adds is worth it. I was actually ready to buy this kit but the cost of putting everything together is what stopped me. Im still unsure if I want to get a M90 supercharger or a turbo whenever I get the cash again.

I just dont think I could put a turbo kit on myself but a supercharger would be. In the end its the whine of an M90 or a spool of a turbo cant figure out which I want more lol.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Well i am set on i think i will be happy with whatever i purchase!

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
I have the ON3 sitting in my garage floor. Another week and a half then I can start the install... I'm stoked.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Gahh you guys are making me want to buy the On3 kit again. A few more months and ill be in Seattle making some sweet per diem... hopefully I'll be getting about $400 more a month base pay on top of that and my clothing allowance for the year. I can scrape something together I think :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
All I have is a little hole in my pants from burning them on my motorcycle. So ill take like $50 to get a new set of pants and be good. This weird chick at taco bell loves mustangs so im sure i'll get free food just for having a turbo.

Let me know how everyones install goes. I still dont know honestly if im going with a turbo.. I have 4.10 gears which would suck with a turbo once it gets spooled up.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
But 4.10s are so funnnn! Yea im getting the itch again and ive only had my cams and everything for about 2 weeks lol. When I get a little more cash I might get a F/I kit... I keep thinking about everything I would have to change for a turbo and im starting to not want to do it now. I love the way my exhaust sounds right now (after the H-pipe gets welded it should be even better) and I love the throttle response the car has. I think if I ended up going with a turbo I would lose a little throttle response and the exhaust sound would change... not sure if I would like that too much.

On the other hand I know I can bolt on a supercharger myself and the M90s sound sick. They dont put out as great of power as other S/Cs and turbos but the low end torque would be nasty. If I could manage to hook with a M90 and 4.10 gears. Eh I got months to think about it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Damn now im looking into the boost brothers kits on ebay. $1200 is insanely cheap. Apparently they are pretty good quality too. I could afford that within the month lol.

·
Registered
929 Posts
You do realize that turbo's have the best bottom end and equal throttle responce right? turbo's make way more torque than twin screws and centri's.
Blaspheme! SC or GTFO! :mad:

Jk I LOVEEEEE turbos!:D

But I would have to change my whole set up and well my LT and SC kit =/

1 - 20 of 32 Posts