Modded Mustang Forums banner

5321 - 5340 of 7789 Posts

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Thanks man.

Stars were out tonight, so after our celebration I decided to give Star Trails a second attempt. The tree didn't end up being in focus but oh well

Getting the white balance correct is kinda difficult so I just made it a Black and White

White balance can be easier with aperature tweaks and then adjusting shutter speed to compensate. What were you at?

Both are great shots in B&W.

For the tree, if you want to make it tack sharp, take a dedicated shot and composite it into the star trail exposure. Unless the wind is dead you won't net a long exposure sharp tree.. I'm sure your aware..

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Fuggin' wind...always messin' **** up.

Like my hair 'nd ****

:crazy

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
^haha

White balance can be easier with aperature tweaks and then adjusting shutter speed to compensate. What were you at?

Both are great shots in B&W.

For the tree, if you want to make it tack sharp, take a dedicated shot and composite it into the star trail exposure. Unless the wind is dead you won't net a long exposure sharp tree.. I'm sure your aware..
Thanks man

Good point. My first attempt I just did one long exposure for 30 minutes(bulb) at F/16. Tree was in focus this time however I did focus on the tree. And the white balance was correct.

This time I shot 53 images at 30 seconds exposure @ F/2.8 focusing on the sky in Manual focus set to infinity. Your right though, the small aperture is what is making my white balance off. I even set my WB to 5000K which I thought was a bluish temp?

Problem is if I go higher than F/4ish the stars don't really show up too well in the photo with a 30 second exposure. 30 second exposure aren't long enough for a higher F/stop. and from trial and error, taking 1 long exposure gives you so much noise it's almost impossible to take it all out. Taking a ton of images is much better. But with this method I'm maxed out at 30 seconds which means my aperture needs to be low. But after messing around in lightroom, tweaking the WB on my own seems to be the way to go I guess. From what I've been reading it's the city lights that are giving me the WB problems. If I was upnorth the sky should be black.

·
Registered
403 Posts
These are nothing special. I was walking around where we had some bulldozer work done and I took my 50mm f/1.2 along. I was just playing around with a very shallow DOF. The sun was setting, so I wanted to see dark it could be and still get sharp pictures handheld. The camera is my old 300d, which stays mounted to the 50.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was pulling pictures of of my memory card and my cat decided to snuggle up against my 35mm which was on the ottoman- so I had to snap these:

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Kiddyyyy is covered in snow!!!!!!!11

:shiftyeyes

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Nice, I like that first one Triple.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Good one Power.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Sure power, why so long on yours? A fire work burst is generally 3 seconds or less. Unless of course you are looking for overlap (multiple bursts in single frame)?

I shot all of these via my remote trigger, this allowed me to watch and work. Bonus!!!

Settings as follows:

Iso 100
F8
2 second shutter

Used my 24-70 at 70mm.

5321 - 5340 of 7789 Posts