Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:
Searched forums far and wide and have ran outa options. Wanted to see if anyone else has similar experience.

Bought dual guage pod (autometer ) for my 02'. Interior color code is ' Dark Charcoal'. So figured easy enough right? Went to latemodelrestoration.com and ordered a rattle can of OEM Dark Charcoal interior paint. Painted the pod... No dice. Its way way lighter than actual interior color. Not even close actually.

So, after reading some forums, found some people saying actual color is Midnight Black from Ford, which is actually a really dark grey. Well thats gota be it. Go to the Ford dealer, order it ( its discontinued but they found some in St. Louis) Got it Friday and sprayed the pillar pod again. Hold it up there... still a shade or two lighter!! I am at a total loss now. All I can think to do now is to local body shop next to see if they can help, or find a hobby store and try and eyeball a dark grey to match. Already spent $50 to paint a dam $30 dollar guage pod!

Anyone had a similar expierence. Installed a guage pillar/pod on thier Dark Charcoal interior? What did you do to match it up????

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts
I would also call my interior dark charcoal, but I just looked at my build sheet and it says I have Midnight Black. If you ordered midnight black from Ford and it's not matching, I would say take it to a paint shop and see what they say about getting it closer :dunno

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks. man that midnight black has to be it! Maybe I need to paint it black again, and then do the Midnight black overtop. Maybe that first stuff i painted it made to light.... Thats the only thing I can figure. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used dark charcoal gray from Latemodel and it matched my interior perfect. Mines an 03 though which may be the difference. If all else fails get the speed of sound pillar. I had the autometer pillar for about two years and it rattled and creaked to much. Got the the SOS one and love it. Night and day difference in quality. Hope u finally track down your right paint. Sounds like u got a PIA there.

Mustang Dual Gauge Pillar Dark Charcoal (99-03 coupe) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Bought an SOS one from the start. Didn't like the Autometer quality, that you have to mount it onto your stock pillar, and that you have to paint it to match.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought my 03 had charcoal. but found out it's actually "Graphite" Interior color
really. I thought the medium graphite ( or graphite ) was much lighter than the charcoal, but maybe not. I'll have to see if I can find some of that. worth a shot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought an SOS one from the start. Didn't like the Autometer quality, that you have to mount it onto your stock pillar, and that you have to paint it to match.
I seen the SOS one too, and thought it looked ok... but I kinda preferred the style of the autometer pod more, and was tryin to go the cheapy way as well by just getting the autometer one. Looks like i am going to end up having to order the SOS. Thanks for all the input. appreciate it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just walk into a hardware store and eye ball it. I know it's the cheap way out, but I've done it for all of my interior parts. Good paint prep will pay off here. Also, you can use a Matte or gloss coat too for desired shine, or lack of. But I also just bought a SOS A pillar and it works perfectly...

·
2013 5.0 Deep Impact Blue
643 Posts
really. I thought the medium graphite ( or graphite ) was much lighter than the charcoal, but maybe not. I'll have to see if I can find some of that. worth a shot.
my interer is so dark especially after using armor all, you would think it's BLACK, i love it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts