Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between a 4cyl factory 5 speed transmission and a GT factory 5 speed transmission? My brother (import guy) says its a whole world of difference and the clutch i have on the way isnt going to work because its a gt clutch. i thought the only difference was the reinforcements in the syncros and such but correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
535 Posts
idk if your right or not, but my neighbor (mustang guy) said the same thing. told me i need to make sure i dont have a 4 cyl tranny because there not the same....

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Besides different gear ratios, different input shaft size and a lessor torque rating there pretty much the same lol

Both take the same size clutch, pressure plate, flywheel etc so tell your brother to stick to his imports... only thing dif you'll need is a smaller pilot bearing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks flyin ryan, the clutch gets here tomorrow ill pick up a pilot bearing before i put it all back in.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The 4 cyl. T5's also have a 3.97 first gear compaired to a 5.0's 3.35 ratio. So 1st gear is going to be super low, and a pretty big ratio spread to second.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The gearing and the pilot bearing size is the biggest difference. Its the same size spline but you do have to run a different pilot bearing. They will hold up as long as your not beating the guts out of it! Other than that it will bolt right in.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
yeah there hit or miss the v8 one's to lol My buddy had a hci car on spray on a 4 cyl tranny and it held for 2 years when he got a c4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts