Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Stack Racing intake from AM and I can definately feel its peppier and hear the deeper exhaust tone. My question is what actually creates more power with colder air? I know the engine bay can get up to 150-180F around the block and this CAI will be sucking air in 100F lower than that..Is it that colder air is denser and thats what creates more power? :screwy:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Your factory intake was a cold Air and drew from the fender well just like your new setup .

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your factory intake was a cold Air and drew from the fender well just like your new setup .
How? it sits right there in the engine bay?

·
Registered
380 Posts
See that tube on the stock box , it goes into the opening in the fender well , that's why the opening is there .

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See that tube on the stock box , it goes into the opening in the fender well , that's why the opening is there .

mine never had that tube.. lol

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
Its more of a cosmetic difference then anything.

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its more of a cosmetic difference then anything.

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I was sucking in engine bay air, mine didnt have the tube so I know for fact that temperature change will make more power I just want to know the scientific reason for it..

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes the reason its makes 'more' power is because cold air is denser. More air = more fuel = more power.

However, CAI's are really purely cosmetic. The drop in temps in a N/A, mild car is not that much of an improvement.

Think about it, sure your sucking in cool fender air, HOWEVER you think that metal tube you have now doesnt heat the air as it moves up towards the TB?

In a forced induction application, the air temp is more defining of the power and safety of that power. Because forcing air in via a super or turbocharger creates alot of heat.
However for your application, throttle response would be the only real noticable gain.

CAI on a N/A mild car might give a horse or two, but honestly, a K&N drop in would suffice.

·
Registered
892 Posts
K&N Mustang Drop-In Replacement Air Filter (96-04 GT/Cobra, 03-04 Mach 1 and 01 Bullitt) E-0945 - Free Shipping!

Is all you need, almost $200 less and the same gains. srsly. My mach just had a K&N. But KB suggested the 'cool air kit' they sell, and why not, it matches. The intercooler is doing all the cooling, the kit they sold me i bought knowing it was just for looks.

Unless your FI, CAI's are for looks. And dont get me wrong they look better than stock.

Just dont get carried away with the manufacturer's HP claims. They have been proven incorrect over and over on dynos.

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes the reason its makes 'more' power is because cold air is denser. More air = more fuel = more power.

However, CAI's are really purely cosmetic. The drop in temps in a N/A, mild car is not that much of an improvement.

Think about it, sure your sucking in cool fender air, HOWEVER you think that metal tube you have now doesnt heat the air as it moves up towards the TB?

In a forced induction application, the air temp is more defining of the power and safety of that power. Because forcing air in via a super or turbocharger creates alot of heat.
However for your application, throttle response would be the only real noticable gain.

CAI on a N/A mild car might give a horse or two, but honestly, a K&N drop in would suffice.
Well I guess thatll be the closest to a real answer lol...

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ yep, but if it makes you feel better that's all that matters
Not really, this is my 2nd intake so I knew exactly what to expect. Looks better, sounds better and will help significantly down the road when I open the exhaust up more and tune..

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
K&N Mustang Drop-In Replacement Air Filter (96-04 GT/Cobra, 03-04 Mach 1 and 01 Bullitt) E-0945 - Free Shipping!

Is all you need, almost $200 less and the same gains. srsly. My mach just had a K&N. But KB suggested the 'cool air kit' they sell, and why not, it matches. The intercooler is doing all the cooling, the kit they sold me i bought knowing it was just for looks.

Unless your FI, CAI's are for looks. And dont get me wrong they look better than stock.

Just dont get carried away with the manufacturer's HP claims. They have been proven incorrect over and over on dynos.
Car already had the K&N replacement, plus my car didnt have the tube in fenderwell. Of course you will not get the 8-12hp bs. But it has been dyno proven to see gains of 5rwhp from relocating your filter from inside the engine bay to outside

·
Livin' the Dream
303 Posts
I had that CAI on my GT. It sounded pretty sick when it was making that sucking noise.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Most people take the tube off for better air flow anyway. I have 3 of them sitting on a shelf in my shop.
+1

I toke mine off.
i feel that it breathed easier. then i bought a cheap 40 dollar cai that i found on ebay. AM sells the same one for 75 lol.
Doesnt matter any more tho. going FI pretty soon =D

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Those claims they make are usually crank horsepower, you'll see half of that at the wheel.

However, it all starts to complement each other when you add more bolt ons along with the cai.

My car made 229whp and 267wtrq with just flowmaster weld ins, well after i had a cheapo cai, 70mm tb, c&l plenum, o/r x-pipe, my car put down 255whp and 301trq.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts