Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was out doing some yard work today. Mowed the lawn, edged along the cobble stone, laid some seed down (although this flipping storm probably washed it all away :mad: dumb).

And then I was looking at my car's dirty spots, behind its ears, on the bumper where the tail pipe leaves soot :mad: and such, so I hosed it off and got a sponge and was wiping those areas when I noticed how dirty the whole thing really was. (It's white, hard to see that it is dirty, it just becomes dull slowly over time)

So basically I washed my car with just the sponge and water. Looks pretty good. I also used the brush and cleaned the break dust from my wheels.

And I'm wondering, does soap really do that much more? Why does a car need soap? It's not like I'm worried I'll get a stomach virus if I eat my pancakes off the hood.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
You just caused a TON of swirls and scratches to your paint. Talking about the paint looking duller over time? Swirls and scratches make paint looks EXTREAMLY dull.

Also, soap allows the surface to be cleaned by lifting the dirt off the paint or suspending it. This way your wash mitt picks up the dirt.

All you did was move some dirt around and cause major swirling. Don't do that again :no

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
It's not like I'm worried I'll get a stomach virus if I eat my pancakes off the hood.
I just noticed this part.

We don't use soap to sanatize the car.. lol. Car wash soap is not Anti-Bacterial hehe.

Sorry bro, but your way off in left field with this one.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Use soap or you will scratch and swirl your paint man also you want a product to help break down the road film, dirt and other grim on the vehicle. Using only water will not do this.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Now you must go put your head in a oven to learn this lesson please preheat to 400* and let simmer for 5 minutes...NO SOUP FOR YOU!

·
Registered
221 Posts
White is a very forgiving color. Try that with a black car and you'll see what everyone's talking about.

Not the end of the world, but use a quality car wash next time, with a sheepskin wash mitt, sheeting rinse and waffle-weave microfiber towel to dry.

In the long run, you'll be glad you did. :)

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I think I got off this time. I just checked in direct sunlight, so I lucked out.

But I guess I won't do that again.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Well I think I got off this time. I just checked in direct sunlight, so I lucked out.

But I guess I won't do that again.
Your car is white, you just did not see them. If you washed a dirty car with no soap, then there are swirls... end of story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts