Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on what to get...definitely want to add some horsepower. (Looking for engine type mods)

So far, I have the following:

GT500 Rear with 3.73 Gears
Dual Exhaust with high flow cats
Pacesetter Headers
BBK Intake & SCT Race Tune

I am also about to get slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

I've been looking on AM, and found a couple of possibilities:

1. Camshafts - Hear they make your car sound like a beast, and add around 20 HP. (Although I don't see any on AM for an 05 V6 Mustang)
2. Nitrous - Although I don't know much about it, and hear it's pretty dangerous over a 50 shot (and illegal?)
3. Shaker System - Does this do anything other than looks?

Any other suggestions would be great, thanks!

SenileT

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
1. Cams for v6's will have to be custom made you can buy from supersixmotorsports.com or tom morana racing.com

2. Nitrous is illegal to use on the streets yes. I've seen v6's run 100 shots with stock motors and yes it is dandgerous if you dont know what your doing.

3. Shaker system has no real performance gains just routes the air through the shaker to the air filter. More for looks and it's really expensive when everything is said and done. (install, paint, labor) Not worth it in my opinion.

I think others will agree with me on saying nitrous would be the best bang for your buck for some instant HP. But if your looking for longterm HP I would go with building the motor with P&P heads and intakes with a nice set of cams.

Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Cams for v6's will have to be custom made you can buy from supersixmotorsports.com or tom morana racing.com

2. Nitrous is illegal to use on the streets yes. I've seen v6's run 100 shots with stock motors and yes it is dandgerous if you dont know what your doing.

3. Shaker system has no real performance gains just routes the air through the shaker to the air filter. More for looks and it's really expensive when everything is said and done. (install, paint, labor) Not worth it in my opinion.

I think others will agree with me on saying nitrous would be the best bang for your buck for some instant HP. But if your looking for longterm HP I would go with building the motor with P&P heads and intakes with a nice set of cams.

Hope this helps!!!
Awesome advice. My friend also just told me about a site called comp cams.com, but told me as you mentioned, the cams would have to be custom made. Any idea of how many cams are in a 05 v6 mustang?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a single overhead cam engine so only 2 cams. My advice would be to save up for a turbo or supercharger.
After looking at the total power gains coupled with pricing, it makes much more sense to either get a turbo or super for sure. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've got ported and polished heads for the 4.0 if you're interested. about 30hp and 30ft-lbs gains on a N/A car. PM if you're interested. I've also got a thread in the for sale section for them.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I think ud still have to build it a little bit if u go F/I. I thought was double overhead cams for the Mustang tho and single in the ranger.
The 4.0 v6 is SOHC, so 1 cam per each bank of cylinders. And hence the two heads, ergo; 2 cam shafts. Also, the 4.0 has 2 valves per cylinder

The 4.6L 3 valve v8 is SOHC

The 3.7 v6 is DOHC, same with the new 5.0, and it has 4 valves per cylinder.And thus, two camshafts for each head, so four total.

The 3.8 is OHV, and only has one cam.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
We can get you a nice setup if your interested, you can run a 50-75 shot safely. PM or give us a call if your interested.

This is the system I run on my 2008 Bullitt, no problems. I run a 100 shot on factory tune with no problems, and no tuning. You will need to switch to some colder spark plugs, and run 91 or 93 octane gas when you spray. Let me know if you're interested.

Here's the link

Proton System

-Garrett

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Unless you're all about the looks of them, save your money on the slotted rotors and just by some blanks. You will see no increase in braking performance from putting holes in your rotors. The pads are a good choice, though.

Are you manual or auto? If you've got an automatic, you can get some good performance from going to a higher stall converter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.