Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to get Flowmaster's Super 44 muffler. Any Pros? Cons? Other exhausts I might want to consider? What about X/H pipes? And is it hard to install them?

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
i had 44s on my v6. it was pretty drony at highway speeds, but then again, it might've had something to do with it being a v6

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I got the jba's axle back and love it.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
but really though, i'd look at some other mufflers before u settle on flowmasters. plus, u gotta consider how its gonna sound with future mods.

·
Registered
293 Posts
never herd them personally but allot of people say the flowmasters dont sound good on the s197s.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Flowmaster AT's, O/R H-pipe, and LT's

Just was checking out how well my new camera would take in car vids without a mount. I was going to get on it up the on-ramp but a cop pulled up across the intersection before the light turned green. Just after getting on the 2nd freeway I hit about 125. If you hear some metal rattling, I had the back seat down so you could hear the exhaust better and I had my golf clubs in there.

Chambered mufflers are going to sound different from straight through. I think it sounds more old school. I get a little trumpeting right around 2600 RPM, just for a brief second. The only drone I get is with the A/C on and it happens at idle and about 1300 RPM. Again, this is only with the A/C on. Wierd huh?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
flowmaster sounds good i think.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Definitely get the "American Thunder" over the 44s. I think the ATs sound great IMO. Ive heard both in person and the 44s do not sound good on our cars.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
i have the flowmaster AT's havint heard someone say it sounds bad yet

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been running flowmaster AT s for almost two years and I get nothing but complements. They sound better after they break in (1000 miles or so.)and even better with a CAI. :yes But they do sound like crap with an off road x-pipe. High flow catted x-pipe sounds great. Dont know guys hate flowmasters so much on this board. :D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Flowmasters sound decent, but they drone like hell.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
ok so I have touched on this subject awhile back in another thread so i'm going to copy it and post it for you. But your best bet is to shop around first and compare each exhaust to the X or H pipe you want (compare on youtube). Do not settle with cheap, you will regret it. You like the sound but it's more $$$...save and buy it or you will be wondering why you did not just save your money and get the better part.

ok here is my old thread post

yeah O/R basically means no cats...H pipe creates more turbulance between your left and right exhaust giving it a bit smotter sound..(had this on my 90 5.0). With that said you have the x pipe which gives you a raspy type sound higher pitched then the H. Every person is different in what sound they like so the best thing for you to do is....youtube it....some videos have good quality sound. Now keep in mind the sound of your X or H pipe will differ with you mufflers(research this to on youtube). I found that I enjoyed the sound of Borla with the X pipe vs Flowmaster, Etc...Lastly keep in mind headers, this creates another unique sound for your exhaust. bottom line it's good to get the research (people here, youtube, carshow) and then get a plan for your set up.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Key note unless you have a high jack with high stands installing the cat back pipe is near impossible. You can manage by jacking it high and taking you rear tires off.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i have SSS terminators the fitment on them is awful. but they sound good.. very loud

1 - 17 of 17 Posts