Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! I'm new to this board, so I hope I can find some good information and advice from everyone here.

My local Ford dealership just traded in a 1998 SVT Cobra coupe, canary yellow, black leather, every option in the book, it has 118,000 miles on the body, 60,000 miles on the engine. The engine was totally rebuilt by SVT when the previous owner heard a noise in the engine and he didn't want to risk it, so they totally rebuilt it for him. I was very impressed with the car during my test drive, and I'm thinking about buying it this coming Monday.

I talked to the previous owner, and he said it dynoed 346 horsepower at the wheels when he tested it recently. By my math, that's 416 at the crank! I asked what mods he had done, and he only mentioned a K&N filter he had added himself. He also said the owner before him mentioned putting in a Diablo performance chip on it. And according to him, those should be the only two modifications done to the car. Everything else, exhaust, gears, etc... being stock. I didn't notice anything else on the car that would be an obvious power adder.

So my question is this: I hate to call BS on this guy, but there's no way a K&n filter and a Diablo chip can add up to a 90 rear wheel horsepower gain, can it? I can see 30 or 35 gained, but not 90. Either he's BSing, or there's something else done to the car that he wasn't aware of before he dynoed it, or those Diablo chips give more power than they claim. I will admit though that when I test drove it, it did feel stronger than stock, so I wonder if there is something I'm blind to see on it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
well stock those cobras had 300hp if i remember right . as for +90 rwhp i'm calling bs too. Unless that chip changed the fuel type to like 100+octane (racing fuel)then maybe.

wow the other previous owners didn't change the exhaust system thats a first to me hearing that. usually thats like the first mod anyone does to any kind of car.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Hey Barricade81. Welcome to the site. While you are asking about a 98 I would post your question in the 4v/SVT section to get more accurate information for your question. I personally love Cobra's but can't answer specifics on them. You will get some people in the 96-98 section that know about them but the people in the 4V section usually have Cobra's and will have much more experience with them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I didn't believe it, as much as I would like to. But I'll have fun with it regardless of what it's making at the present time. And yes the exhaust will definately be gone quickly, hehe

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Yea I didn't believe it, as much as I would like to. But I'll have fun with it regardless of what it's making at the present time. And yes the exhaust will definately be gone quickly, hehe
I think the 98 Cobra's have one of the nicest exhaust sounds with an o/r pipe. I knew a guy in college that had one and it was the best sound I have ever heard.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I'm looking into a lot of different options right now; exhaust will be the first thing I do to it. Although I must admit the stock exhaust is better than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the 98 Cobra's have one of the nicest exhaust sounds with an o/r pipe. I knew a guy in college that had one and it was the best sound I have ever heard.

love that commercial.

but definatly do it, those cobras are so sexy!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$10,000; i can probably get him down to $9.500 not that I'm cheap or anything, hehe I have an '01 V6 5 spd manual with a few mods right now, and I called up my insurance agent and he said my insurance will be cheaper with this Cobra as opposed to my 6 shooter I have now. Lucky me.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
That's not a terrible price but you may be able to find one for less. I would try to bargain personally.

That is a great commercial by the way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yea I'll bargain, don't worry. It's the same guy who sold me my '01, so I know I can work with him and get a good deal done.

·
Registered
311 Posts
seems a little high in price to me for a 118,000 mile car...but again im a cheapskate..lol.. anyways i would believe it made the 346 on an engine dyno but not a mustang dyno...maybe the first guy sold it to the other guy with the wrong information... you know how a story travels... either way have fun...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea that could be the case too. I'm going to ask him if he has the dyno sheet on that test where he claims 346. He has receipts and documents for everything else that he has bought or done for the car, so maybe he still has the dyno sheet.

·
Registered
856 Posts
well stock those cobras had 300hp if i remember right . as for +90 rwhp i'm calling bs too. Unless that chip changed the fuel type to like 100+octane (racing fuel)then maybe.

wow the other previous owners didn't change the exhaust system thats a first to me hearing that. usually thats like the first mod anyone does to any kind of car.
the chip changing the tune to race gas wouldn't do very much. just let him mess around with timing and with no other mods there's not much he'll get out of it. people use race gas to up the boost in their cars and keep detenation away while advancing timing and what not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have a 96 cobra and its got a few mods and it only puts down 276whp. which is about normal for a slightly modded sn-95 cobra

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the funny thing is, I just got off the phone with the guy, and I asked if he had the dyno sheet for that run showing 346 horsepower, and he said he does and he'll drop it off at the dealership for me to look at on Monday. So now I'm starting to think maybe it really is true. Sure would be pretty sweet if it was!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
It was rebuilt. Is it possible this is crank power measured with the engine out of the car after the rebuild? I am just throwing around possibilities.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
the chip changing the tune to race gas wouldn't do very much. just let him mess around with timing and with no other mods there's not much he'll get out of it. people use race gas to up the boost in their cars and keep detenation away while advancing timing and what not.
well i learn somthing new everyday:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts