Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 GT that I had 275/40/18 on the rear and 245/40/18 on the front. I just put 295/45/18 on the rear and I love the way the car looks, sits and hooks now. The ABS light is coming on because the speed ratio between the front and rear is too great. The computer thinks the car is skidding. Dose anyone know what the ratio between the front and rear is needed to just keep the ABS light off? I hate to say this but I never drive the car in rain or snow so is there away to turnoff or disable the antilock braking system. I am going to get KB to disable the traction control and recalibrate the speedometer.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mark

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
welcome to the forums.

you probably just knocked the sensor loose when putting on the wheels. it's common.

turning off the abs is NOT a good idea but you could just pull the fuse.. I don't think you can turn it off all the way though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked all the sensor and they are look fine. One thing I should have said above is the light only comes on if you go above 45 mph. driving around town it will never come on only on the highway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I hot a pothole with the rear left, checked the sensor, and can't get it to turn off. My traction control light says off too, down by the shifter? Any ideas on a remedy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me explain what’s going on I have a 28.5-inch (295/45/18) tire on the rear and a 25.7 inch (245/40/18) tire on the front. Ok the ABS light is on because the ratio between the front and rear is confusing the ABS computer so it is shutting the ABS system down. What I need to know “what is the min inch tire I can install on the front to stop the ABS light from coming on The tires I had on before was 26.7” (275/40/18) rear and 25.7” (245/40/18) front so a inch different. So would a 235/50/18 (27.3) or 255/45/18 (27) work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put 235/50/18 on and no more ABS light. I am so pleased with how the car looks now. I guess you would say I am old school. I am not a big fan of the low profile tire. I like to see some rubber. Car hookup awesome, the front comes up now and not just spinning tires.

Thanks to everyone for your input

·
Registered
64 Posts
So you have a taller tire in the front???

I would have just thrown a 245/45/18 on the front....

It woulda fixed it...

now you have a skinnier front tire, thats taller than the back?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So you have a taller tire in the front???

I would have just thrown a 245/45/18 on the front....

It woulda fixed it...

now you have a skinnier front tire, thats taller than the back?
No the 235/50/18 is 27.3 inchs where the rear is 28.5 inchs
also the 245/45/18 would be 9.65 inch wide and the 235/50/18 is 9.45 inch so it not much different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts