Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My abs light comes on from time to time, as far as I can tell the only consistency is that it does it sometime while driving. What are typical causes of this? I had thought it might have been something to do with the fact that I was long overdue to change my breaks, but after changing them I still catch the light. On rare occasion I see the traction control light, odd considering I have it turned off through my handheld tuner. Could the sensors just need cleaning?

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
One cause of this is tire size. Are you front and rear tires different diameters? If that is the case it will turn these lights on.

·
~C~, The Other White Meat!
1,623 Posts
Funny you should ask this. I am wondering now if it is a defect with our years. I never saw any recalls or TSBs on it. I have had that issue for some years now.

Finally, my light decided to stay on. I got it checked a few times. Basically, from what I found out, there is or could be a problem with one of the sensors. After doing some tests, could never pinpoint the cause. When the ABS light is on, the ABS system is not working as it was meant to, however, normal brakes will still work fine. I have been driving like that for about 2-3 years now. It costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 (per quote from a local shop) and I want to say $600 or more from the dealer.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Nope. Not tires. Those are exact size.

It is probably a wheel sensor then.

·
1,623 Posts
Nope. Not tires. Those are exact size.

It is probably a wheel sensor then.
Yea I still have the stock wheels and tires (size) on mine and the ABS went. Even the Haynes and other manuals say sensors. Just costs a lot to get them fixed. I don't know enough to do it myself, nor would I want to take that chance with the ABS.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Yea I still have the stock wheels and tires (size) on mine and the ABS went. Even the Haynes and other manuals say sensors. Just costs a lot to get them fixed. I don't know enough to do it myself, nor would I want to take that chance with the ABS.
ABS sensors are easy to replace.... its only a couple of bolts and plugging it in. If it ends up being in the rear you will have to pop the seat bottom out, if its in the front you have to move the fender liner around some.

·
1,623 Posts
I guess in order to pinpoint which one though we would have to do one at a time. Only thing is....Im not 10000000% sure it is the sensors. :dunno

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I replaced my wheel hub thing I noticed a lot of dust/ build up on the sensor, I'm thinking it might just need cleaned off. Maybe one has enough on it to make the signal all of the time.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
I guess in order to pinpoint which one though we would have to do one at a time. Only thing is....Im not 10000000% sure it is the sensors. :dunno
The code should tell you which one.

When I replaced my wheel hub thing I noticed a lot of dust/ build up on the sensor, I'm thinking it might just need cleaned off. Maybe one has enough on it to make the signal all of the time.
I have seen that happen before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts