Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping for some advice.

I reinstalled my blower a few months ago; I had it machined and rebuilt. Anyway; all has been great. The other day I was driving home and I smelled what smelled like burning rubber. I assumed it wasn't me; so I continued on. Anyway; a few days ago I was driving and I put my AC on; and I could smell burning rubber again; and the AC is blowing warm.

I popped my hood and I have rubber dust everywhere and a big score in my serp. belt (the belt is only a few months old); I assume from the tensioner. I guess the question I have is; since the compressor pulley is ribbed side; is it possible that turning on the compressor is engaging the clutch in a locked position causing the belt to drag back over the tensioner and scoring it? Has anyone ever seen anything like that?

I ordered a new compressor; condensor, and I'm going to replace and charge the system. Just was curious if anyone has ever seen anything like this in the past?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Is the compressor seized? How old is the compressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
When my compressor went out it caused all sorts of smoke and it wore out the a/c clutch, smelled terrible. I can't remember if it messed up my belt or not, but I know I replaced it anyway.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I would check that compressor, and double check your blowers pulley alignment.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My compressor seized on me once and it did eat up the belt. Rubber from the belt was all over and it also smelled rough. Very well could be the cause of your issues. Mine occurred right around the 95k mark or so.

All sounds like youre headed in the right direction.

Let us know when you've got it pinpointed either way, please.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to follow up on this. So I had two different issues here I believe. I had a pulley alignment issue (pretty sure); and a belt that was maybe a bit to loose. The compressor wasn't seized; though I did replace it. The cause of my AC failure was my new long tubes making contact with one of the lines; and putting a dime sized hole in it (through the heat shield no-less).

Thanks for all the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts