Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 1994 gt a few weeks ago the ac system didnt cool, only hot air came out, so i thought needs a freon recharge ill get to it next week.. i got in my car turned it on and turn the ac knob and nothing not even hot air, checked the compressor and it would not engage.. can it just be the ac clutch that went bad or can it be something else.. need to get this fixed asap summers in houston get so hot.. hope its a cheap fix cause im low on cash.. well any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance..:confused:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Me and My Bro. had a 1994 5.0 then sold it back in 1998.
It bacame a Fix Or Repair Daily issue with the A/C
until we fixed the entire A/C system.
You need a new compressor and you also have a leak somewhere. I am almost 100% sure of that.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
As long as you can rotate the clutch on the A/C by hand, you won't need a new compressor.
The most common repairs on these cars for the A/C are a failed pressure switch (mounted into the Accumulator at the back passengers corner of the engine bay) or a leaking green o-ring.
I'd check the system for pressure first and if the pressure is low, recharge with some R134a. If the system does not work again after a day or two, you have a leak. Replace all of the o-rings in the system since they're old anyway. Draw a vacuum and see if the system will hold the vacuum. If it will, recharge again with R134a and add some of the colored PAG46 oil so that you can see if a leak makes itself apparent again.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
If you turned the AC knob and NOTHING came out, you need to look into a blower motor issue. But that would be a different issue than blowing hot air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i turned on my car turned the ac knob it sounded like it was about to start blowing air and then lost pressure and no air came out.. could it just need a recharge?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
As long as you can rotate the clutch on the A/C by hand, you won't need a new compressor.
The most common repairs on these cars for the A/C are a failed pressure switch (mounted into the Accumulator at the back passengers corner of the engine bay) or a leaking green o-ring.
I'd check the system for pressure first and if the pressure is low, recharge with some R134a. If the system does not work again after a day or two, you have a leak. Replace all of the o-rings in the system since they're old anyway. Draw a vacuum and see if the system will hold the vacuum. If it will, recharge again with R134a and add some of the colored PAG46 oil so that you can see if a leak makes itself apparent again.
If you turned the AC knob and NOTHING came out, you need to look into a blower motor issue. But that would be a different issue than blowing hot air.
+1

also when you recharge your system , pull the plug of the pressure switch and use a jumper wire in the plug. If your A/C system is completely empty of freon you will have to pull a vacuum on the system before you recharge it....( after you locate and repair the leak)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts