Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
thats out of my knowledge, I will let somebody else takeover from here. Somebody will know their stuff here though. Sorry I couldnt help further.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go to your local parts store and get a coil wire for a 85' Mustang 5.0 it will work with that coil. However that particular coil wire is fairly short and you will need to get a coil mount for that coil and mount it to the the cylinder head or the intake. Long coil wires for this application can be purchased through summit racing so that the coil can be mounted on the inner fender or shock tower. You will also have to do some electrical work as the TFI coil on your car now uses spade connectors you will need some eyelet connectors to mount the +/- to the coil studs.

If it were me I would save up and buy an aftermarket TFI coil which plugs right into your application. After you spent all your time and effort buying a coil wire and electrical connections you could have just bought the aftermarket part thats plug and play but you decide

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I'd keep the stock coil. The factory Ford TFI igntion system is a good system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you want the car extra reliable and easy starting. Do a complete tune up on your car, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, check codes for any errors and correct the errors. Buy a battery with high cranking amps this will alow for easy starts in any climate.

I totally agree with Darrel here keep the stock TFI they work very well as a matter of fact the TFI is popular swap for people running older cars with stock ignition.

Also, the hotter sparking ignitions like MSD only help burn fuel better at higher rpm's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts