Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup..........add another one to the list guys, mine went out yesterday. I know there has been TONS of alternator problems with these cars, so does Ford. I was on my way home from work (ironic) and my radio went dead. Radio panel said "low battery voltage". ABS light and traction control light came on. My bud was right behind me (we work together), so I was lucky. Turned the car around to head back to the shop, all gauges went dead. Pulled over to check connections, and the car started to surge really bad. I already knew what was going to happen so I killed it. Called the wrecker. I was hoping the first time I saw my car on a wrecker it would be a rod hanging out the side of the fender, you know, something to make you proud. Can't do anything about it lol, but it does suck that I just ordered some parts, and my ole' lady's b-day is saturday.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine went out a few months back. I didn't even know there was a problem with them till it happened to me.

Driving on a freeway into LA, packed at rush hour with a friend going to check out a Trans Am, and all of a sudden my gauges all die. I had no idea what happened but I was worried so I got my ass all the way through all the lanes and off the freeway. As I'm rolling down the exit ramp that damn thing started dying and trying to stay going.

I would've been so ****ed if I had stayed on the freeway and didn't rush ASAP off the freeway.

Mine went out right after warranty expired (36k/3 year), paid 100$ for the new alternator to get installed and a few other things to get repaired.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I havn't got back on to update this thread. I've been swamped at work and just really don't have alot of time to get on anymore (and if I do its for a split second to check my PMs).........anywho, Its not covered under the PT warranty, only the basic 3yr/36k mile warranty. Ford Motor Company knows how many miles are on my car from previous repairs so they know i'm over 36k miles. Cost me 160 or so for an alternator, plus I got alot of other stuff I owe them on. And a tow bill. I probly owe them 500 or so. I seriously dont have the money for it but they are nice and will let me pay it out lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
Which alternator are you getting?

I bought the PA performance alt. Took about 30 minutes to install. You can also get higher amp alts.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went back with a factory Ford unit. I don't really have the time for the car to be down as I need it to drive since I gave my truck to my mom.(traded it in on "cash for clunkers")................Ordered a Ford alternator and had it there the same day. Can't beat that. I don't have an aftermarket stereo or anything electronic really besides the nitrous kit, so I don't see a need for a high amp unit.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Did it give you ant warning before it went out? I have a high pitch winning coming from my engine bay and no its not the whipple! It sounds like a bearing going out in something but I cant tell exactly were it is coming from. Any body else have this problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts