Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres the deal, my car has 190k on it but the engine still runs strong. I'm 18 and going to college and will have to pay for whatever i dont get through grants/federal aid and scholarships. Im so sick of my car being so slow so heres my question. What should i do? I have PI h/c/i in my garage so i thought about getting the heads ported and getting stage 2 cams, rebuilding the rearend with 31 spline axles, diff, and some gears. But i dont know if i want to do that on a 190k mile engine. Or i could try and find another mustang. Keep in mind that money is somewhat tight. What do you think i should do?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
I think you're playing with fire if you start to mod an engine with that many miles on it. I would find another Stang, or, if you have the time/space/facilities, an engine to build up slowly.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thoughts exactly, i dont know if i want to build onto the engine with that many miles....

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
That was my thoughts exactly, i dont know if i want to build onto the engine with that many miles....
Yeah. You're asking for trouble. Not only would you be adding power to it, but when you do so you will also be driving it harder. That combined with 190000 miles is a recipe for disaster.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
You can get a 302 stroker block for around $2,200. build that up with your ported heads and stage 2 cams. problem solved. the new built block will cost you less than getting a differant car.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^Ya i know that, and that was my original plans. Its just that idk if it would be wise to do that when i still have college to pay for this fall. If i bought a new car itd be on a loan and i would still have money left over every month. Im just looking for advice bc idk what would be best. BTW, if i were to do an engine build i have the space and someone that could help with it.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
having two cars is nice:D, but seriously... don't make the same mistake i did! You don't want a car payment in college. Do whatever you have to do to pimp out the ride you have, and then when you graduate think about getting something better;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Is 110k miles too much to start modding on? I'm just gonna do the straight PI swap (no porting, no aftermarket cams) and be done until I'm stable in college.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
lethal...your original plans were to build a short block...you can afford to be in a rush to make your car fast...i say stick to your guns...get a short block and take as long as you need to build it...it wont kill you all at once with money....having a car payment in college is tough man.....stick with you plans brother

·
Registered
187 Posts
do the swap,build the short block,swap the heads onto the shortblock.

problem solved. your fast now, and faster later. its win win!

im in kinda the same spot,im 21,but i work full time and do night classes. my piece of **** daily driver keeps having electrical problems.****ing hondas. so i kinda want to sell it and buy a nice new daily driver. buuuuuut i want my mustang faster lol. so its either heads or a new car.

my block has 210 000kms on it(im in canada so i have no idea how many miles that is)
but its been babied. and i mean babied. never seen over 5500rpm, seen 5th about 20 times,never driven in cold/winter. never seen snow.

my plan is to do the heads onto the npi thats in there. i bought a pi block to get the heads/intake off so ive been taking that apart and am gonna rebuild it in time then swap my heads over.

you can get a pi engine complete for under 500$ then if your not boring or that,buy a rotating assembly,have it balanced, slap the heads on and go.

·
Registered
306 Posts
LOL LETHAL, i just posted the exact same thing, however I dont have college but i dont have a ton of cash living on my own n all. I'm thinking what I might do, is sit on the car and build up some money.. then sale my car and find a nice newer cobra ( I always wanted a vert anyway).

Man i'd give anything to have a buddy with a garage and tools and wanna work on this tang with me. ;(

Anyone live near Greensboro NC and wanna have a few beers and put up some hp :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
If he/I built our motors and the block goes, cant you just buy a new block and swap all ur other stuff onto the block?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If he/I built our motors and the block goes, cant you just buy a new block and swap all ur other stuff onto the block?
yup aslong as you dont do anything to the heads. id have em taken apart and cleaned before swapping them over. incase any debris got in there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
thanks man!:) math isnt my specialty:(

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im thinking i may just build it as i get money starting with the shortblock. Juco is right, i really dont think i want a car loan while in college.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Im thinking i may just build it as i get money starting with the shortblock. Juco is right, i really dont think i want a car loan while in college.
It wasn't very fun for me. I worked three jobs to do it. Well...and be able to save money too. I would not get a lone if I was you. You don't want to HAVE to work. With a bill that is what you have to do. I don't mean you won't have to work now but it will be out of necessity that you have to work a certain amount of hours each week if you have a car payment. I don't know if you have full-coverage insurance or not now but if you have a loan through a bank you will have to. Just something to think about.

I would take the build an engine route and learn as much as you can while you are in school.

·
Registered
306 Posts
yeh not HAVING to work for that payment is nice, plus without full coverage insurance drops HUGE. and if you wanna do some grades u could always just get SMALL leans on the car, 1-2k that way its easy and quick to sorta pay back off and your chillin again. Prolly way imma go. Get a loan just enough to do a nice new upgrade, pay it off repeat. Builds credit and doesnt put you in a big huge new car payment for 3-5years. Bout the time u ready for another upgrade u got the new payment knocked off. Not 2 mention the payment would prolly only b around 100 bucks a month on 1-3g loan, so if ur running tight its an easy payment but if your money is sittin good you can knock chunks off the loan and move to the next step. I believe this might b the route i take. Gotta c how she acts once i get her back from the shop in the next week or so.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
you COULD go the 1-2k loan route...but IMO at 18 who wants a payment of anything...just continue wat ur doing dude....there nothing wrong with you car it runs fine im sure u have a blast in it...and when the time come...you will have a kick ass ride when your money is ready...good things come to those who wait bro

1 - 20 of 26 Posts