Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm looking into picking up a 2000 mustang gt from a guy on craigslist. It has a 2003 motor w rebuilt trans swapped into it after the original motor threw a rod. (mileage is unknown, but the odometer says 190k). The car runs and drives great. However, I noticed a few things that I don't know too much about. The first is an airbag light on the dash. the car was supposedly hit in the front in a parking lot and the steering wheel airbag was deployed. (since replaced) the light is still on but everything seems to be fine. (any advice about what could be causing this?) Additionally, the right side of the drivers chair (back support portion) seems to be disconnected from the bottom portion of the chair, causing the back potion of the chair to lean to the back right. lastly, the power steering fluid was low and it made a slight whining sound when going around corners. Are any of these things a simple fix, or are they something to be concerned about? The guy is asking $2800. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Power steering is most likely a easy fix, but if the fluid is low then there was a leak that made it that way that will need to be repaired.

a junk yard will be an easy and cheap fix for a seat or find someone parting out a car as they are everywhere...

the air bag is more tricky i cant say much on that because it could be electrical to a dead bag, Fuse ETC just gotta do your troubleshooting.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Honestly if it were me.............how high is your mechanical knowledge? Mileage unknown would scare me. I'd PERSONALLY pass to find a more sound car with a better history of tracking but again that's just me.

Low power steering would indicate a leak. That means you'd need to check the entire system to see if it's the rack, pump itself, pressure lines, ECT. I just got done replacing my own rack,pump, and pressure lines for under 350. These pumps are known to whine a little ess if the fluid is low or old.

Airbag light i can't help only because I don't know a lot.

Passenger seat would need to be replaced. As said above junk yard or get aftermarket. Tack on another 250 to 600 depending what you want plus time to install.

With new edges being so common and lower priced I'd shop around more for a more reliable source. Not knowing the mileage alone would drive me up the wall. With 190k on the chasis alone you're inviting in repairs on worn bushing components, suspension, and who knows what else.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Man would you need to be thorough on inspecting that. The combination of replaced powertrain, broken seat, air bag faults, all in the context of a front end accident do not bode well. I'd go through that front end with a fine toothed comb, and gut feeling is you probably won't like what you see.

If you're just going to use this as a project beater or track car, it might be a good start. Otherwise I'd probably look for something in a little better shape. A few extra dollars up front will save you from lots of time and headaches on a car like this. Trust me, I've been down that road.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The airbag light is most likely due to the airbag module not being replaced after the accident. Though I doubt the seller was driving through a parking lot when his airbags went off. You would really have to be moving to make them go off. Given that and the fact the airbag module wasnt replaced (aka backyard fix) I would run away.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I would pass

Its been hit hard enough to break the seat

Motor swapped???? and trans???? not really likely. People don't normally got to those lengths for a car with that kind of millage unless they are building it. No doubt that it runs great these are amazing motors but the whole thing sounds fishy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I suspect the airbag light is on probably because the airbag/safety computer (whatever it's called) wasn't replaced. I know when airbags deploy the entire system needs to be replaced, everything blows - computer, airbags, and seat belts. Replacing airbags and seat belts is easy, but I have heard replacing the computer is a bit more involved. I've never done it so maybe someone who has might be able to chime in.

If you're looking for a track/unregistered play car then I'd say this might be an OK car, since you'd probably be ripping all that out anyway, but if you want something that will be on the road and safe I'd pass unless you're willing to install NEW airbags, seat belts, and computer. If you're going with the latter then I'd recommend finding a cleaner car. These things are a dime a dozen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts