Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

i just turned 16 and i am looking for a car. My dad has a stock 91 gt 5 spd.He said he will sell it to me for $5000. No rust no abuse or winter driving 70000 miles i really like it but i would like a little more power. i have been looking through craigslist and see a bunch of nice blown, or 347 stroker:D 5.0s for the same price as my dads. My dad wants me to buy his car but i really dont want to spend a ton of money to make the car run low 12s. i want to buy a already modified car but he thinks all the cars on craigslist are all abused,junk cars that people are selling before they blow up.

What do you guys think should i buy a moddifed car off of craigslist or buy the nice somewhat slow stock 5.0.:)

thanks

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
At least with your dad's car, you know what you are starting with. Used cars are crap shoots, never know what you are getting. I'm not saying to buy your dad's car, but he's not bad on the price. Also, the good thing about starting from scratch is that you aren't buying a car with parts that you don't want or are going to change. It's all how you look at it. Some of the moddified cars that you see for sale are mismatched crap that didn't run the numbers people thought and the said piss on it, or have issues that the owner doesn't want to spend any more money to fix. It's your money, decide wisely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's your dads so he probably is not going to stiff you on a car so if it truly is un molested then go for it.

He would probably let you pay it out so give him a down payment and use the rest to upgrade how you want to.

And while you are researching what parts you want you will become a better driver.

Also moddifying the car your self will give you something to do with your father, and you will learn how the car works

And he is probably right o. Most craiglist cars espically if they are modded people have probably beat on them, not alaways the case but is very likely.

And the stock 5.0 will have enty of power for you just starting to learn how to drive.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
^Yep. And if that first one has no other engine mods, it's not making close to 400whp on 5psi. The second one, the guy spent way too much on junk parts. If it were me, I would buy your dads car. Buying a modded fox is buying someone elses problems. Someone, or many people, beat on it and it probably needs or will need some work somewhere. A car like that, you can't ever buy and expect it to give you many miles of trouble free driving, it's not going to happen. Your dads probably will if it's been well maintained.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Seen them both on craigs also, you live in the Cities here? Neither one really impressed me. The second one has more money shoved in it, but you'll end up throwing out a lot of that ****, so it's money wasted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i guess i will buy my dads car. It does have a catback exuast and thats about it. I really like it but i really dont want to wast a bunch of money on bolt ons. should i just save my money and get a carbed 351 windsor crate motor and call it good

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Switching to carb is like cutting off a perfectly good leg. WHY??? If it has efi, leave it efi. Keep your eyes peeled for a take off Trickflow Street or Track setup. Will get you to your low 12's and keep you happy. When you want more someday, send the heads in for porting and sell the intake off and get something bigger. If you want to keep it simple, put a on3 turbo kit on it, get a good tune, and call it good.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Keep it EFI....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well a carbed car would be cheaper than upgrading all the efi stuff like cold air,maf,trottleboty,injectors,intake manifold exc... and look a little less busy in the engine bay

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
you kids these days........................Your not going to build this car over night, it takes time any money. going carb is like handicapping your self...deals are out there, you cant look at the price of things new, look at the price of used stuff, its much cheaper. thats what most of us do...were not rich either

·
Registered
176 Posts
well a carbed car would be cheaper than upgrading all the efi stuff like cold air,maf,trottleboty,injectors,intake manifold exc... And look a little less busy in the engine bay
my cousin is having the same dilemma but he wants to keep all the stock parts on the car to save money. Personally, i think your best bang for the buck will be installing a used supercharger system. You can go the bolt on route but you will spend just as much money on them and make less horsepower. Supercharger systems are simple to install and you can find them on c.l. Used all the time. Ive seen them go for pennies on the dollar. You will only have to upgrade the injectors and maf but you will need a tune to take on the boost. Depending on how much boost you push you will get an easy 300-375rwhp on the stock setup and as long as you dont beat on it you shouldnt have any mechanical issues. Just my opinion. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
^^ upgrade the fuel pump too and get ot tuned, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
my cousin is having the same dilemma but he wants to keep all the stock parts on the car to save money. Personally, i think your best bang for the buck will be installing a used supercharger system. You can go the bolt on route but you will spend just as much money on them and make less horsepower. Supercharger systems are simple to install and you can find them on c.l. Used all the time. Ive seen them go for pennies on the dollar. You will only have to upgrade the injectors and maf but you will need a tune to take on the boost. Depending on how much boost you push you will get an easy 300-375rwhp on the stock setup and as long as you dont beat on it you shouldnt have any mechanical issues. Just my opinion. Good luck either way.
Dont Beat on it? He's 16! hah:p

Yeah i would deff buy your dads car and work on that. And i would just get used to driving the car before ya go crazy tearing it all apart. If i were you i would enjoy it this summer and save up some money and do a H/C/I swap and gears ( if it doesnt have it ) And just have fun with it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts