Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i need some help guys on what heads to buy. I right now I have a stock 88 with boltons and spray. My delima is this. I want to buy new heads today. The three I'm lookin at are of course eddy,afr,trickflow. I'm ordering them from a speed shop cause they have 90 days same as cash. Now to the question. I have a stock 302 now and in the future I plan to do a 347. I called afr about the 185 but they said I have to fly cut the pistons for 185 and the recomended 165's and said there fine for when I build the bottom. Trick flow said there 185's will work on stock 302. Victor jr's only come in 210cc from what I can find. Is fly cutting the pistons really just drawing a pattern and dremeling? What do you guys recomend. Please help I'm ready to buy. Wich heads would you guys do.

P.s I was also looking at the 170 cc trickflow cause there 600 hundred less than the 185s would I loose much power with those as I'm on a budget

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Only let a reputable machine shop flycut pistons. No demeling is involved other that to maybe smooth out rough edges that might promote detonation.

Best bet is to go with 1.94 valve heads (cc doesn't matter)with stock pistons or aftermarket pistons and a 2.02 or 2.05 valve head.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The TFS 170cc heads are the only ones that will bolt-on to a stock 302, without modifying the pistons. There isnt much of a difference in power between the 170s and AFR 185s.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do you fly cut pistons? My friend has afr 185's on his car he said he dremeled the pistons himself. Is this possible?

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i just got off the phone with trickflow. They said the intake runner size has nothing to do with ptv of course. They said no matter what size trickflow heads i run that the biggest lift cam I can run is a 4.90. Is this true?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Its definately possible to cut the pistons yourself. Its just not a good idea if you dont have experience. As far as your cam dilema, i would suggest calling Cam Motion, and speaking with Jay. He can give you some good insight on what size camshafts are available to you with the head configuration your considering.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just bought afr 165's so i can run a good size cam. I know they'll choke the 347 up a little when I get it, but I'll deal with it or sell em and get the bigger one's. I'll deffinetly call him when I'm ready to get a cam.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unless you guys can tell me what cam i can run with the 185's cause I've been getting mixed answere's from afr all day.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
unless you guys can tell me what cam i can run with the 185's cause I've been getting mixed answere's from afr all day.
what do you mean what cam you can run????

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
A 185cc Trick Flow head will have the potential to make a ton more power than a 170cc head but you have to have the complimenting components. All Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads will bolt on a stock 87-95 302. They are the only 2.02 intake valve head that will. If you are not sticking the time, effort and focus into getting the most out of your engine I'd just slap some 170cc Twisted Wedge heads on it. Bigger runners are going to need a complimenting cam and intake. Total package makes good numbers, not just throwing parts at an engine. I'd stick with Trick Flow and leave AFR on the shelf.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow ok, thanks. I am having my order switched to the trick flow. I'm probably just gunna do the 170's. I plan on keeping my 150 shot I currently use and using the trick flow track heat manifold.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what cam would you recomend darrell for those heads, Like i said above 150 wet shot,basic bolt ons . I would like to do bigger valve reliefe pistons for when I do the 347 so I can run a large cam. What cam would recomend for now that I'm running the stock motor. I know i'm extremly limited due to ptv issues. And what are your thoughts on the trickflow manifold spacer for nitrous instead of the throttle body plate that I currently have as I'm thinking of ordering that with the track heat manifold.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
what cam would you recomend darrell for those heads, Like i said above 150 wet shot,basic bolt ons . I would like to do bigger valve reliefe pistons for when I do the 347 so I can run a large cam. What cam would recomend for now that I'm running the stock motor. I know i'm extremly limited due to ptv issues. And what are your thoughts on the trickflow manifold spacer for nitrous instead of the throttle body plate that I currently have as I'm thinking of ordering that with the track heat manifold.

All aftermarket pistons have large valve reliefs so when you build your 347 you will have large valve reliefs. Always check valve to piston clearance though. For your stock engine with Twisted Wedge heads I'd run a cam like the TFS-51402001 or the Comp Cams XE274HR. A nitrous plate that sandwiches between the upper and lower intake is always better than a throttle body plate.

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I definetly will. I'm looking into those cams now. Tomorrow I'm gunna switch to the trick flow heads, order the black track heat manifold and nitrous spacer. And I'll be asking you guys for more advice when I recover from this huge hit and am ready to build the bottom. I wana do the highest compression I can on pump gas and have good nitrous pistons and a big cam. Thanks again guys I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
how do you fly cut pistons? My friend has afr 185's on his car he said he dremeled the pistons himself. Is this possible?
I'll be doing the same next week. I'll post pix. I figure I have to take .040 of the edge of the stock relief for 2.02's to fit. I'm gonna take off .050" and do my best to match the stock slope of the relief. I only have to do the intake. I can't eait to see if my po-dunk, fly-cut works.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
A 185cc Trick Flow head will have the potential to make a ton more power than a 170cc head but you have to have the complimenting components. All Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads will bolt on a stock 87-95 302. They are the only 2.02 intake valve head that will. If you are not sticking the time, effort and focus into getting the most out of your engine I'd just slap some 170cc Twisted Wedge heads on it. Bigger runners are going to need a complimenting cam and intake. Total package makes good numbers, not just throwing parts at an engine. I'd stick with Trick Flow and leave AFR on the shelf.
I should have been this specific. :eek:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Only let a reputable machine shop flycut pistons. No demeling is involved other that to maybe smooth out rough edges that might promote detonation.

Best bet is to go with 1.94 valve heads (cc doesn't matter)with stock pistons or aftermarket pistons and a 2.02 or 2.05 valve head.

dude ryan that avatar you got is pretty sick man....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts