Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a really good deal on a 97 GT with no motor and I was wondering if you guys could offer up some advise. Since there is no motor, I was wondering which way would be the best bang for the buck. I've been torn between a stock 96-98 bottom end with the PI heads and intake or a 96-98 4v motor. Whats your thoughts?

·
6 Time ROTM Loser!
5,163 Posts
well if you could get a 03/04 cobra engine, get that. If not, still get a 4v. Or do what sharkbait did and get a 5.4L and put a blower....

lots of different options, just have to see what your final goal for the car is and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya the 03/04 motor would be great but I dont see that happening for any kind of cheap. I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible while still being able to run good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What ever you decide to do. Just dont do a carb'd hack job. Stick with Fuel injected like a 97 is meant to be.
Arent the 99 and up more HP?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does it still have the stock ECU and wiring harness?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wiring harness is stock and the ECU already has a chip in it for a PI swapped 2v. The car came with long tubes for a 2v as well. To switch to a 4v would be a little more money. I'm just wondering if the increase in power will be worth it.

·
Sarcastic Sally
3,352 Posts
A Mark VIII can be "kinda" pricey with all the lil ins and outs you have to buy but def. gives you more potential for hp/tq than a regular 4.6 2V PI or NPI. If nothing else do a 4.6 2V PI swap forge it and slap a FI on it...A 5.4L swap with a blower like Sharky's can be pricey as well, while 5.4 are cheap and readily available certain parts to make it fit with your stock hood i.e. intake manifold can run you close to 500. IMO Sharky got lucky with finding his parts and he has a good bit of mechanical know-how(not saying you dont)...

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Well if you go 5.4.

You can get a motor for about 1000 or so with low mileage. The kicker though is the HPS intake...which costs around 800....and your not finding a used one lol. Seeing as mine was sold before it went up for sale.

Everything else though is fairly straight forward.

·
Sarcastic Sally
3,352 Posts
If I could go back and do it over again I would have skipped the Mark VIII build I have goin on and just forged my 2V and gone FI...Still could go that route but I have the engine already and so many new parts, it would be a bitch to sell...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well if you go 5.4.

You can get a motor for about 1000 or so with low mileage. The kicker though is the HPS intake...which costs around 800....and your not finding a used one lol. Seeing as mine was sold before it went up for sale.

Everything else though is fairly straight forward.
I just saw a topic on The Corral saying that with a little bit of fabrication, the new 5.0 and Boss intake could work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can get a 96-98 Cobra motor for $700 from a local shop. I don't know what kind of shape it's in yet though. Or I can get a NPI 4.6 from a junkyard for $150 and then have to rebuild and piece together the PI swap.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
4v>2v if theres an option, but def pi swap if you go 2v...

I wish thats how I knew too :( wicked....
Don't forget 3V is an option, but for the most part I think the MKVIII swap is easier and cheaper.

And don't go getting too jealous, I've got the motor torn apart (waiting for my cams to get here!:mad:) and no T56 or fuel tank yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts