Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So earlier I made a thread about looking for a GT. Currently, my car is a 2002 v6 mustang with cobra wheels, short shifter, mach 1 chin/grille, honeycomb decklid, new head lights and plugs & finally a CAI. I found a black GT with 75k miles and it's an automatic. It's in tip top shape from what I can tell from the test drive and listening in on the engine.

Anything I should know about purchasing a GT? They will only offer me 3k for my Mustang since it has an accident on the record (previous owner) which sucks but I'm going to talk the price of the GT down since my salesman said he would give me 4.5k for it before they didn't give him the green light. Also, my car has a 3rd gear grind, it's getting worse.. synchronizer is going bad. They don't know, as lousy as it is, I feel a lot better with anything at this point. My car is paid off too so I'll accept the loss and take an upgrade.

So.. I have OEM polished cobras on it (2004 model year) and I already got it appraised while it was wearing them. Do you think they'll give me less for changing them back to the stock wheels I have in my garage?

I'll probably be removing the Short-throw shifter as well and returning it to stock so I can sell it and buy a chin spoiler for the GT, as it would look worlds better with one.

But if everything goes through, looks like the GT is mine. They already approved my credit, so woot.

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
I wouldn't think so....unless the fact that it would maybe be considered listed as "premium" wheels would affect it. Just fuss. :p

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha so you would take them off? I think the GT would look so much better and, otherwise I'll have to find new wheels. But I may not want to spend money on them again and instead a new exhaust.

I'm thinking of just putting two flowmaster mufflers on or just waiting and going with an slp loudmouth :D

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
they prolly wont even realize you swapped them. I'd take the sts and mach1 grill/spoiler off before you take it in also, as again they prolly wont notice them. then sell the sts and find a good deal on an exhaust for the gt and you'll be stylin. ;)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
deff find some lm1's if you like loud. i just put on an slp catback yesterday and am in love. loud when you want it and quiet when you dont. also, IF they even notice that you swap the wheels, they'll for sure take less of the price then it would cost you to buy new wheels.

·
Registered
145 Posts
deff find some lm1's if you like loud. i just put on an slp catback yesterday and am in love. loud when you want it and quiet when you dont. also, IF they even notice that you swap the wheels, they'll for sure take less of the price then it would cost you to buy new wheels.
Do the slp's have that signature mustang sound to them? I have a o/r H and flowmaster catback but Im thinking of changing it out for something else. Ive heard the prochamber/slp combo and it sounded really good.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was thinking :cool

the loudmouth probably the right choice for me then! I love loud, it doesn't annoy me. I'll keep the chin on as it makes it look good, and it's not in the best shape. I'll probably get one off of LRS with the short throw shifter money for $60. Wheels I'll have to get removed at a shop though, I won't have time to take them off because I dont have the resources. But that will only run me $50 to get them swapped. I may ask if I can remove them for the certain reason. The salesman said he felt bad he couldn't give me as much as I wanted.

I also have 3.73's and a tlok to sell so that will buy the LM or a new set of rims if I dont remove them.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
here's a vid of my car with a catless hpipe and lm1's. it's very loud when you're in it and at idle/steady cruising(55 or 70) it's surprisingly very quiet. I think an lm1/prochamber setup would sound great also.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that gave me the chills! I need to stay with cats on so I'm thinking just the LM1's will satisfy. Got any from-within-the-cabin clips?

Sadly, all I will be doing is exhaust, wheels, mach 1 chin/grille and lowering it when the time comes. I'm basically trading the opportunity to really modify for something that's more convenient, better power and a tad more fun.

Actually that isnt sad for me, I think if spaced out it wont be costing me as much as putting a lot of money into upgrading a v6 to be anything like a GT. When I was test driving it, that's all I needed, I felt in love.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Swap the wheels for sure. If they do notice and say anything tell them they are $1k wheels and if they go with the car you wont take less than $4k. They probably wont know the short throw is gone. But take off the grille delete also. You could probably sell that car for more if you tried to sell it for yourself. Also check your blue book value. That doesnt mean much to most people but you can argue with a dealer about it.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
^ i agree with above. keep the wheels and done say anything about them. IF they mention it then say what thunder said.

but i dont have any of inside the car. it sounds about just as loud when you're on it tho even inside. It's just very quietish at idle/cruise.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try that then, and anything should sound better than the 6 at idle/cruise/take-off. Thing is quiet and raspy when you get on it. :eek:

not hating though, I just couldn't build an awesome 6 like I wanted. Figure this is better for me. Less hassle.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i would pick a diff exhaust than lm1's. slp is not the cheapest on the market and it sounds real raspy with out cats. not hating cause i know some people like it. btw there was a guy at the 1.8th mile track who had lm1's on a 05 gt and it sounded like it should have gone 5's but it could not cut faster than a 8.6. my quiet stang beat the pants off it.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
i would pick a diff exhaust than lm1's. slp is not the cheapest on the market and it sounds real raspy with out cats. not hating cause i know some people like it. btw there was a guy at the 1.8th mile track who had lm1's on a 05 gt and it sounded like it should have gone 5's but it could not cut faster than a 8.6. my quiet stang beat the pants off it.
:withstupid

Aside from that, definitely keep your wheels and replace all the mods with stock parts (if you can sell the parts, that is).

Guess I'm just reiterating what everyone else is saying. My contribution to this thread: :dunno

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Do the slp's have that signature mustang sound to them? I have a o/r H and flowmaster catback but Im thinking of changing it out for something else. Ive heard the prochamber/slp combo and it sounded really good.
No!!! to the highlighted above. And try 10 series flows if you have 40s right now. the video in my sig is the 10series.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
this is true. my cars pretty raspy at wot and it most deffinitely has more bark then bite. lol.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not worrying about exhaust too much, I'll figure out something. Don't want something real expensive so I may just weld flowmasters into the current set up.

I can't take the grille off.. Mom threw out the old grille. Shifter I will try and remove and save me at least that little cash. They are switching my wheels courtesy of them for me :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts