Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 94 gt and have an oppertunity to buy a 96 cobra engine at the moment and would like to know some information and input about it.
first of all, will i need new motor mounts or should it all swap over? also what about the wire harness? do i need the 96 cobra wires or am i ok to stick with the 94 gt?.. suspension: any extra mods to that? let me know your thoughts on it. if theres things im leaving out or advise from someone who has done this or something similar please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ok, start by reading here: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...p-guide-installing-mark-viii-motor-96-gt.html

That will give you the meat and potatoes of the swap, just change anything that says Mark VIII to cobra.

Now, for pre 96, you are going to have to swap the K member and the motor mounts, the computer, the wiring harness (Probably the inside one too, but don't quote me on that), the exhaust will have to swap and maybe the transmission.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ya expect to take a good amount of time to do it and some cash. Im doing the same swap in my 98 gt. and i am redoing everything(k-member, exhaust, tranny, wiring harness,etc) so good luck! feel free to ask any questions and if you need cobra heads i got some for a 96...

·
Registered
417 Posts
ya expect to take a good amount of time to do it and some cash. Im doing the same swap in my 98 gt. and i am redoing everything(k-member, exhaust, tranny, wiring harness,etc) so good luck! feel free to ask any questions and if you need cobra heads i got some for a 96...
You won't have to change the K member, exhaust (save the manifolds), tranny, or wiring harness(unless you are keeping the IMRC's). The GT wiring harness works, but some things have to be extended and the knock sensors/IMRC's have to be deleted. Everything else will work fine as well.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
That's alot of time, money and work for 80hp or so. I think you would come out better building up your 5.0. Both with the time and money.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's alot of time, money and work for 80hp or so. I think you would come out better building up your 5.0. Both with the time and money.
This. It would be better to do a 331 or 347 stroker in a pre 96. You will probably spend less, work less, and come out with more power. In a 96+, the swap is a ton easier.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea my whole choice is deciding if it was worth it or not, figured i would atleast look into somewhat cause i had a chance at this motor.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
If your getting a great deal on it you could pick it up and resell it.

Consider that you can get a trick flow or edelbrock top end kit for your motor that would put it in the 350-360hp range for 2500 ish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yea, i agree with 97S281 on this one. thats a hell of a lot of work for 80hp. I would say if you really want to do a swap. Go with a 347 stroker or 351. And if you really just want a mod motor, go with a 5.4. The work would be well worth it then. But then again, with a little money and some TLC, that 5.0 could be a bad ass motor. I loved mine, but i just wanted something i could drive everyday that didnt get 7 miles to the gallon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts