Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I installed an Alpine deck into my mustang because i wanted to add a subwoofer and use my ipod. BUT, it just didn't sound right compared to the stock mach 460 deck. It sounded terrible so i swapped it back to the stock deck and it sounded good again.

Is this normal? What should/can I do about it?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
let me guess, you didnt bypass the factory amps?
edit: ajm beat me to it, thats what i get for opening a bunch of threads at once lol

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you bypass the amps?? I searched and found nothing..

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
No need to bypass the amps. Get the correct wiring harness.

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Modded Mustang User Name:Supra = Fail!:p
lol. long story short supra was my first car and ive used the same user on every forum so I dont forget

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No need to bypass the amps. Get the correct wiring harness.
I believe I did? atleast I think so.. On the aftermarket HU, i only have to turn up the volume a tiny bit and its already blasting, hardly any bass either.

I believe it looks like this,

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
that is the right harness, did you make sure you plugged it into the sub output? If you want to bypass it really isnt hard but you will loose your tweeters in your sail panel

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
1) that harness is the one you need.

2) bypassing the factory amp can help your problem. theirs one good way to bypass the original amp, but its pretty messy. You re-run wires from you HU to the speakers... it requires a LOT of time because your removing lots of panels and speakers, but you get the best sounds quality this way.

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
It has no bass because your door speakers on with the stock head unit only play bass, and when you added the aftermarket unit it changed this, so now you need to add a sub to compensate for the loss in bass.

When I did the mach I had the amps bypassed and all speakers replaced with Pioneer Premiers and added a W6 and a 500.1 and it sounded awesome.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Well to clear things up, in my old car, I bypassed the amps like said above. I went to our local innovative audio, and was told if i used the above wiring harness then the signal that the actual 460 unit puts out is too weak of a signal.

The head unit sends very small signals to the amp that just tell the amp what to do, when using that wiring harness behind the head unit, it doesnt send a strong enough signal to aftermarket subs. The guy said my two 1200W 10's would only sound like 6x9's so this is probably your reason for no bass.

i used a small RCA adaptor that you tie in behind the amps. So in doing that, you wont run your RCA cables to your deck, they just plug to the adaptor, and the adaptor is tied or spliced behind your amps. so you'll have to keep the stock amp for the back speaker deck, and the RCA adapter gets a stronger signal from it. I spliced my adapter right behind the speakers on the rear speaker deck in your back window.

Like stated above its a pain in the ass. lots of panels and crap to move.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
When I did the mach I had the amps bypassed and all speakers replaced with Pioneer Premiers and added a W6 and a 500.1 and it sounded awesome.
I bet. That sounds sexual :drool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts