Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having way too many annoying ignition problems...i've replaced 2 coils and my spark plugs twice, checked them for backing out periodically and still i randomly misfire really bad and sometimes not bad at all. sometimes its there sometimes its not, while it idles sometimes i hear crackling going thru it like its misfiring, and sometimes it just misfires really bad then goes back to normal, other times i hear a pop or crackle noise thru my exhaust and the car feels like it slowed down for a second. i'm sick of it, so what is a good aftermarket coil, and what are good plugs? as soon as i get tires for my new rims i'm gonna get these, will fix my problem and maybe get me some power even. oh and if you have any ideas as to what my problem is or how i can fix it let me know...i can give you a lot more details.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i run the msd coils they work great and the throttle response is a little better, and i run autolite iridium plugs and i haven't had a problem yet. the coils will run you about 330 at summit that's where i got mine, maybe cheaper on ebay.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are they the same msd coils as the ones on AM? i was looking at those, i've heard granatelli's all suck and that MSD is the only one that isn't crap...im using autolite platinums right now...maybe i shud just go replace one more coil that i know has misfired...5 and 6 i got new coils and all 8 new plugs, then cylinder 5 and 4 misfired, replaced 5th coil at napa jst exchanged it and got 2 new plugs, then 8 misfired by itself and i replaced that plug...now occasionally i get a problem. ugh.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
are they the same msd coils as the ones on AM? i was looking at those, i've heard granatelli's all suck and that MSD is the only one that isn't crap...im using autolite platinums right now...maybe i shud just go replace one more coil that i know has misfired...5 and 6 i got new coils and all 8 new plugs, then cylinder 5 and 4 misfired, replaced 5th coil at napa jst exchanged it and got 2 new plugs, then 8 misfired by itself and i replaced that plug...now occasionally i get a problem. ugh.
yeah it should be the same ones as on am, you know msd had been around for a long time and are known to make the best ignitions on the market i love mine.:cool: and they make alot more spark, more spark means more power

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
look into the performance distributor ones. The coils are called sultans of spark. They are made by the same people who make the screamin deamon wires so you know theyre good stuff Ford SOS Coils

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha thanks guys. i noticed today i start to misfire when my RPM's are low only. like i purposely slowed to 25 mph in 4th gear then it happened. and yeah...**** i hate my car's ignition.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Granatelli 28-1697CP Granatelli Pro Series Coil Packs

I have actually heard the opposite that granatelli coil work great and are better than the msd's because they put out more volt output but msd is a trusted name and you know they have the proven it for years but incase here is the link to check out the granatelli's as for plugs im running the NGK iridium's and i like them dont feel much of a difference but they are good plugs and would work great with performance coils

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i misfired again this morning and its the second morning in a row, i start off misfiring then it corrects itself and runs fine. could it be something other than a coil or plug? like bad wires? shud i just replace another coil or two or just buy all new msd coils and ngk plugs

·
Registered
371 Posts
have you tried replacing the harness?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Hey guys, dumb question: how do you know when your car misfires?
Or when it's running too rich or lean? Is there some kind of noise or studder?

Sorry if I sound like a total n00b, just trying to learn more about engines lol

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i haven't replaced the harness, i dont' know what that is or does either. asiansensation, my car sounds almost like its underwater lol. you'd know. also, your check engine light will blink angrily at you

if you're running rich white smoke will come out your exhaust a bit, if lean you'll feel your car hold back and jerk a bit

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
so i misfired again this morning and its the second morning in a row, i start off misfiring then it corrects itself and runs fine. could it be something other than a coil or plug? like bad wires? shud i just replace another coil or two or just buy all new msd coils and ngk plugs
get all new ones at once:yes

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
i haven't replaced the harness, i dont' know what that is or does either. asiansensation, my car sounds almost like its underwater lol. you'd know. also, your check engine light will blink angrily at you

if you're running rich white smoke will come out your exhaust a bit, if lean you'll feel your car hold back and jerk a bit
he's talking about the wiring harness to your coil's, very common to have wiring problems with this harness on these cars.

oh & as to the smoke, white is water/antifreeze, black smoke is rich.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
he's talking about the wiring harness to your coil's, very common to have wiring problems with this harness on these cars.

oh & as to the smoke, white is water/antifreeze, black smoke is rich.
would a place like napa auto parts have em or wud i have to order them? shud i get stock or aftermarket and like how much are they? oh ya and wud i replace all the wiring to the coils?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
would a place like napa auto parts have em or wud i have to order them? shud i get stock or aftermarket and like how much are they? oh ya and wud i replace all the wiring to the coils?
the wiring harness would have to be ordered from Ford, but thats jumping the gun as your's may be fine, I was just making it a little more clear as to what harness was being talked about. :2cents , stick with OEM coils (not from the part's store, direct from the dealer) I've had stock, Accel, & MSD, all on my car & it run's by far the best with the stock ones, IMO.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ugh. those are also the most expensive, lol. it's either...i buy another napa brand coil or two ($60, been workin fine) or get a new set of MSD coils

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok i realy need someone to answer this question...
today just driving to my friends house, my car misfired for like 4 seconds then fixed itself, did the same thing randomly like 3 times on the way to his house again. what part of my ignition would cause this to happen? i thought coils work or don't work. plugs are all tight. also, sometimes i notice a burning smell, almost like tires but not quite...i think when i drive hard on my car or maybe its when i misfire. i really need help with this

1 - 20 of 42 Posts