Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front two seats have seen better days. 18 year old leather factory seats so I can't be too shocked. Driver side is torn and cracked. The foam is showing. The passenger side isn't too much better.

I want new seats but can't see paying a grand to have the factory reupholstered at a shop when they pretty much suck anyway. I was looking at cipher seats but I hate having racing seats in a car that's a cruiser. I also find racing seats to look ricy. Carabeau sports look factory. The seats with brackets after discounting puts me around $780 from LMR. Expensive but the look I want.

What do you guys recommend? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
My driver's seat is worn out. It would need new foam. My passenger's seat is seldom used but had a small tear in the back when I bought the car. The rear seat has never been used. I have looked at a lot of seats over the years. I don't really like racing seats for a daily driver. They are OK if you do a rear seat delete but they just don't match the interior otherwise and I need a seat that is easier to get out of.

I have looked at Mach 1 and Cobra seats (I really like the Mach 1.) but have hesitated because while they look better with the GT rear seat they don't match it. If I were to go with them I'd redo both the front and rear seats but the rear seat is still in factory condition. I can't really see spending the extra money. I guess I could do a rear seat delete but that is not my first choice.

I am probably going to go with stock front buckets only in vinyl and new driver side foam. Leather wears better but you can hardly tell the difference anymore. I was going to do it last winter but changed my mind a couple of times. If I'm going to do it this winter I've got to get the TMI covers ordered. I'd do that except I'd probably change my mind again.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
My driver's seat is worn out. It would need new foam. My passenger's seat is seldom used but had a small tear in the back when I bought the car. The rear seat has never been used. I have looked at a lot of seats over the years. I don't really like racing seats for a daily driver. They are OK if you do a rear seat delete but they just don't match the interior otherwise and I need a seat that is easier to get out of.

I have looked at Mach 1 and Cobra seats (I really like the Mach 1.) but have hesitated because while they look better with the GT rear seat they don't match it. If I were to go with them I'd redo both the front and rear seats but the rear seat is still in factory condition. I can't really see spending the extra money. I guess I could do a rear seat delete but that is not my first choice.

I am probably going to go with stock front buckets only in vinyl and new driver side foam. Leather wears better but you can hardly tell the difference anymore. I was going to do it last winter but changed my mind a couple of times. If I'm going to do it this winter I've got to get the TMI covers ordered. I'd do that except I'd probably change my mind again.
I was in the same boat, thankfully this comes with the foam as well as the upholstery. I thought about going with a manual driver seat frame to save the weight of the power stuff, but I decided to stick with what I already have.

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
I had racing seats with wedge brackets in my 02 for a short while. I hated them and went back to a set of mach 1 seats

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I'd do tmi but didn't want to bother with reupholster. Wanted one already done. I may look on eBay and see what I can score. Thanks all. This isn't an asap project so I won't update soon but I will when done.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Op Im in the EXACT same boat. The fronts need to be redone but the rears look immaculate. I saw a set that looked good in a junkyard in Ft Myers but they were in a vert that god knows how long the top had been down lol. Im waiting out for a set of stockers to keep the oem look and comfort. Imo the stockers in my 02 are the most comfortable seats in any of my stangs including my 00 gt with cloth and my 07 gt with leather...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Both fronts seats in my Mach need to be redone also, but I have other projects that need to be done first. Maybe next winter I'll be able to redo the interior. I'll need to redo everything, the foam is old and not comfortable and the seat is all ripped up.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's exactly why I was thinking of going aftermarket versus reupholster. Since my seats are ripped up the foam has gone with it. Not huge for me on the to do list but something that needs to be done. That and paint. 18 year old black paint in Florida summer for 18 years has seen better days.

Always something.

I'll update when it gets done but not til probably mid this year. I still got an HID retro I need to complete and install all my new brake hardware i got for Christmas. Total brake overall. Plus all the other little things I need to fix.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In the same boat here. It really sucks there aren't cheaper aftermarket covers on eBay. My buddy bought brand new covers for his Miata for $150 shipped.

I've seen some folks who have pulled seats from newer mustangs and put them in the SN95s, they look good. Saw one yesterday where a guy got some out of a 2013, simple cloth seats for $250. I'd do it if I didn't have racing buckets.

Seat height comparison: 2002 vs 2013? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Do you know if the electric seats will still work? My guess would be no.

·
Registered
256 Posts
In the same boat here. It really sucks there aren't cheaper aftermarket covers on eBay. My buddy bought brand new covers for his Miata for $150 shipped.

Do you know if the electric seats will still work? My guess would be no.
I have no idea. I'd imagine if you can mount them in the car and connect 12V to them, then they'd work.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Kirkey? I cannot imagine crawling in and out of them every day in a daily driver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Corbeau Sport Seats in my 98. They are very comfortable and look spot on in the car. I've taken my wife on a 5 hour ride in the car with them and she had no complaints. My vote is for putting Corbeau's in it.

·
Cletus Emmett Wheelwelker
2,575 Posts
I guess I'll throw in my opinion. I really like the 03/04 Cobra seats. I picked them up for $650, front and rear. They bolted right in, the suede adds some refinement to the cabin, and the adjustable bolsters are a nice feature. They are, however, quite heavy and narrow. If you are looking to remove weight from the car, or if you need a wider seat, they aren't the best choice.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
mach 1 seats get my vote... I may be biased though...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I have corbeau fx1 pros and I love them. I was worried about them being a fixed back, but they're very comfortable.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts