Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i want to take my aftermarkt car stereo speakers out of my '98 and put them in my new '02 GT. I have two 6x9 5-way pioneers for the rear deck, and two 6-8 4-way pioneers for the doors (they sound amazing in my '98 with my pioneer head unit). i plan to get a new pioneer head unit (7" touch screen) for my '02 GT. here's my question...

my GT has the Mach 460 system, and i hear that if you get aftermarket speakers you can't run them through the stock amps (because they're on a weird ohm setting?). is that true? i don't really have the money to replace all the amps, so is there anything i can do without having it come to that? i really wanna just slap in all my pioneers, hook up the new head unit, and run them through my stock amps!

please help...

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
If you are going to replace the head unit, it is actually better to replace all of the speakers as well. The MACH 460 was never the best sounding system to start with. So don't worry about keeping the factory amps. One bright side- you don't have to worry about rewiring the car. The factory speaker wiring (for the 4 2" "tweeters") is standard Ford wiring.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i do the speakers should i just bypass the amps and run them straight to the head unit and run them off it's amps? will that sound better than stock with the amps and a head unit?

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Yes, because of the way the factory crosses over the signals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts