Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem removing one of the nuts holding the stock mirror in place. I was able to remove two of the nuts holding the stock mirror in place. The 1st one I was able to use a socket, the 2nd I had to use a wrench, but the third one I can't use either. The socket is too big to fit in between the door panel and the nut and the wrench doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agent 47 Fix

Goggle it there is a step by step posted your not the only one that has had challenges with this install it has pictures really great write up.

Herrmann T

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a few different instructions, but nothing how to remove the lower nuts. I know it seems simple, but I can't get anything between the door panel and the nut. In the pics the door panel is not exposed.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
can you take the door panel off and get to it?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could take the door panel off, but I may try a box ratchet wrench to see if that helps.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had to use a box ratchet wrench.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got them installed. A flex wrench worked well. The biggest PITA was removing the wiring from the old mirrors. I used a little too much force on the drivers side and broke one of the wires. Good ole electrical tape should fix it.
I will keep them unpainted. I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, i've been busy today putting these new mirrors on - i'm quite stoked :D. But I ran into a snag - I got the passenger side on pretty well but when I started on the drivers side and tried to pull the mirror out of the stock housing, I ended up tearing the motor into 2 pieces! I know, I know, every walk-through says 'firm but gentle' and I didn't pull any harder than the passenger side but the mirrors came off with the front/face of the motor still snapped/connected to the back of the mirror. I can see that the part of the motor face that's actuated by the electrical motor is torn off and seems beyond repair. I was able to shove the face of the motor back onto the main motor body and adjust the mirror manually since I was able to get the threaded plastic studs (connected to the face of the motor) back into their proper holes on the main body of the motor (this seems to be what allows you to manally 'snap' your motor incrementally up/down left/right without using the side view mirror adjusters from inside the car on the driver's side.

I'll try to post pics in a bit of the 'situation' but i'm pretty sure the mirror motor is beyond repair. I'm planning to call a nearby Ford dealership up on Monday and see if I can buy a new mirror motor - what I need help with:

Does anyone know the part # for the (driver's side, if it helps) mirror motor itself so that I can just fitscrew it into the mirror housing? Do you guys know how much that would set me back?

Thanks for any help in advance guys - it'd definately be really appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok - I managed to find the part number. In case anyone's interested or runs into the same situation as me:

Part: Door Mirror Drive Motor (same for either driver or passenger side)
Part #: 17D696

Found it off Ford Parts | Buy Parts for Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Cars & Trucks | FordParts.com (under Category: Body / Sub-Category: Mirrors) and listed for $36.80.

Was considering the ebay store for a while but then I can get this stock motor for about the same price and hopefully quicker (ie. pick-up from local dealer).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts