Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a decent amont of knowledge about engines but this one has me stumped and i cant find it in the repair manual.

I replaced my starter motor on my 91 2.3 mustang and reached down to show a friend where it was because he was interested I hit a flxible pipe attached to my exhaust manifold an it completely crumbled away. :eek:

The car starts fine and I'm getting it ready for certification but I have no idea what that part is any help? should I replace my header with the ranger header or get an aftermarket one? I'm looking to build a cruiser not a mad horsepower machine.

Cheers!

·
Registered
368 Posts
That pipe shouldn't have crumbled if its the one i'm thinking of. The only thing that connects to the header besides the o2 sensors is a egr recirculation tube but that should be made out of steel like the exhaust. Or the only other thing is a tube that goes to the shrouding around that exhaust that connnects to the airbox. Allows the car to warm up more quickly by pumping hotter air into the motor. So the egr tube goes around the back side of the motor, towards the transmission, or a rubber type tubing that comes off the front of the header towards the front of the motor to the bottom of the airbox.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if i'm not mistaken the EGR runs from the header to the throttle body...it can be bypassed by putting a 5/8" flare cap (found at home depot for 3.50) on the header and a plate on the throttle body. whatever crumbled probably connected to the exhaust or air intake if it is a flexible piping

i would try to follow where it was and see whats missing...thats the best idea. and you can get a better answer if we know where it went or came from.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ya I know Daytona, while making that last post I sound guessed myself on it being the egr provision piping and remembered about this piping that had a wire mesh in it that connected the airbox to the header for cold start ups. Most likely its that wire meshing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
true true....ya know. thats a very good possiblity. Akatagyourit, how big was the crumbling "pipe"? was there anything inside or left after it crumbled?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
akatagyourit thanks man its the tube that connects to the shrouding that then goes to the air box and thanks daytona for the egr tip think i may do that in the near future, i dont think that a rust pipe hangin in my engine bay is gonna help for the cars safety cert which do you think would be better a 94 ranger header or an aftermarket for a budget cruiser?

·
Registered
368 Posts
depends on budget. The ranger header is obviously gonna be cheaper, find em in the scrap yard or buy on one of the random forums. Then get the exhaust added for that. My last na motor I built I bought a long tube header from racer walsh. Think it was like 150.

·
Registered
20 Posts
deff...all the EGR really does is put hotter air into the motor to help warm it up on those wonderuflly cold days...especially in FL.....HAHA who needs that lmfao

good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts