Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
engine throws a code today....get it checked and its an air/fuel ratio malfunction. lovely right? the guy tells me its most likely the Mass Air Flow Sensor. he prices it for me...and its a ****ing whopping 224 dollars! i cant really afford this right now so i was wondering what harm is going to be done in the meantime until i save enough money and also if anyone knows of a place that might bea lil cheaper?? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
buy one at ebay... in fact whats ur year? and check if it really the mass air sensor..

i got a spare one i could sell u but then i dont even know where u live and how much shipping would be...

post the codes here to know exactly if its the maf and ur not getting screwed...

also a/f ratio malfunction could be everything like bad spark plugs or w.e

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
well get to autozone and get it check there to see their opinion... when a car has a prob u should get at least 2 opinions or more cuz they could be trying to rip u off

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true, but thats the second time i took it there to get that code checked because the first time the guy said that maybe one of my injectors were clogged or a lil clog in my fuel filter and to just run some cleaner through the tank next time i fill up and reset the code to see if it corrects itself. i did that and it went away for a few weeks but now its back and i tried resetting the code again and this time im not getting rid of it lol

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
continue with the injector cleaning treatment i use oupont.. i noticed changes with it... also change ur fuel filter..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and reset the code to see if it comes back up? also what about that spare MAFsensor you have? will it fit if thats what it comes to or no?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
and reset the code to see if it comes back up? also what about that spare MAFsensor you have? will it fit if thats what it comes to or no?
idk if it will fit.. and i cant tell u if i can sell it.. i have to think about it..

get the code read at autozone.. post it or p.m it to me also do a tuneup on ur car

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
get the code and post it up for us, they should tell you the code,
but if it is your MAF clean it first, get some di electric cleare take it off and clean it really well, let it dry and replace it that usually fixes it

but if it is a lean code which it could be since he suggested fuel, change your fuel filter

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
yeah they sale it at autozone and advanced, i think CRC makes it but it is called DI electric cleaner

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
... autozone employees are a bunch of numb nuts... they are told to just interpurt the code as they please... if it says a.f malfunction they will just try to sell you as much **** as they can with out telling you what is really wrong.. well not telling you what truthfully is wrong

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
... autozone employees are a bunch of numb nuts... they are told to just interpurt the code as they please... if it says a.f malfunction they will just try to sell you as much **** as they can with out telling you what is really wrong.. well not telling you what truthfully is wrong
+1 and 90% dint know what a/f means

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol yeah thats true, theres this one guy i usually deal with at advance. hes pretty informative and helpful. doesnt try to sell you everything either. however he wasnt there yesterday

·
Banned
15,799 Posts

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
it could EASILY be the MAF sensor and the most likely cause
best thing to do is try cleaning it first as mentioned and before you spend the money at that store consider these:
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: MAF Sensors

much better upgrades for the future if you have serious plans on the car and next to advance or autozone you cannot beat the price
IF he dont have a tuner this isnt an option for him to get a larger maf. cuz he would have to have the maf transfer functions modified or the car will run like a bag.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
engine throws a code today....get it checked and its an air/fuel ratio malfunction. lovely right? the guy tells me its most likely the Mass Air Flow Sensor. he prices it for me...and its a ****ing whopping 224 dollars! i cant really afford this right now so i was wondering what harm is going to be done in the meantime until i save enough money and also if anyone knows of a place that might bea lil cheaper?? Thanks guys!
Get me the specific code and i can list anything that would cause this for you.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
forgot about that

well he can get a tuner now too =)
True. but if he dont have the cash for a OEM MAF then im doubting a tuner is an option ATM. id like to get his specific CEL code so i can reference it and see what can all cause this problem. hell could be as easy as an o2 sensor.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
true.
i had a kid in my class....owns a GT 2000. he had a short to his sensors he THOUGHT
so he took them out and just let them dangle he said it fixed the problem but was running rich
i was just like umm yea i wonder why the 02 sensor is just reading PURE oxygen lol its gona dump as much fuel as possible.

some people i just dont understand lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts