Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 that came to me without any air intake housing. I need to buy one in order to pass smog. I have a two part question that I was hoping ya'all could help me with.
which years will work for that? I am headed to a a salvage yard and am thinking i could grab one out of anything from a 1987-93. Is that correct?
second part is I was looking into cold air intakes...and as I live in cali, I am wondering if they are allowed for street cars? I know that some performance air intake systems are only allowed on racers here but I am unclear which ones...
is it worth the upgrade and which system is best?
ok, that was 3 parts...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
If your going to get a stock intake , you may as well get an explorer intake, it will cost you a little more but well worth it in my opinion, Cuz in a year or so youll endup throughing the stock intake right in the trash. The intakes that came on 87-93 mustangs were crap

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
The airbox that houses the airfilter is all the same from 86 to 93, some other models will also work besides mustangs, but stick with a stang to ensure it works.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Oh...never mind, i thought you were saying it didnt have a Intake. But if your just saying your missing the air filter box,and hose, then ya go grab one from a 86-93 mustang. Sorry i guess i should have took more time reading your post.

·
Banned
3,246 Posts
The airbox that houses the airfilter is all the same from 86 to 93, some other models will also work besides mustangs, but stick with a stang to ensure it works.
If you just need the air box yes. but if your car has mass air flow meter then only 89-93 will work, just buy aftermarket there cheap anyways.... I have one for sale if you need a used one...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you just need the air box yes. but if your car has mass air flow meter then only 89-93 will work, just buy aftermarket there cheap anyways.... I have one for sale if you need a used one...
umm. derrrr. what's it look like and where located? the whole housing is absent.
i went to salvage today and grabbed one out of a Lincoln i think? or a cougar...seems to fit pretty well but has an extra hose coming out of the top that seemed to go to the AC on the car i pulled it from.
i am in way over my head. not a mechanic. pretty good at figuring computer shite out...coding, software, whatnot...maybe i will get the hang of this mechanical stuff.

ok, i realize that sounds really blond...but we were wandering around the yard for what seemed like days with a list in hand of all makes/models/years that would work, dinging nothing. did find one out of another mustang but it had all these extra parts, computers, when we etached the computer, we were left with what would have been a female to female connection...didn't see, right. meanwhile place was closing down. i was just about to say f$%# it when a car from the list, checked the year, popped the hood and scrambled to pull what looked like the perfect part out.
except that worrisome extra hole at top...
if this is the mass air meter:

then i have that at least.

·
Banned
3,246 Posts
yes thats the mass airflow meter. put it on the intake before your tube connects to the airbox. it links the two together. Im not trying to sound mean or anything and i respect the fact you wanna learn about cars (if thats the case) but these cars being so old are gonna have alot to work on lol youll spend hours upon hours fixing things that may seem stupid so just be prepared

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no offense taken. My son won this car in a raffle. He's only 13 and my car got totaled around the same time.
So, he is kindly letting me "borrow."
I didn't plan to have a project car, but this ride is the definition of janky.
maybe by the time he gets his license, I'll figure some **** out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts