Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the course of installing new rear deck speakers this weekend, I seem to have pissed off my car somehow. I removed the rear side panels in the interior, removed the rear deck cardboard stuff, replaced the speakers and put it all back together. When I started the car, the airbag light in the instrument cluster - not the one above the radio - started blinking. It will blink for a while then go steady.

I pulled everything back apart, and noticed the driver's seatbelt retractor has a two wire plug going into the bottom of it, which I apparently destroyed reinstalling the panel. There doesn't appear to be any voltage running through those wires, so I'm not sure what they do. But no matter what I try as far as temporarily reattaching those wires, the stupid airbag light keeps flashing. I've even pulled the battery cables to reset the computer, to no avail.

No DTC's are showing up. Do the two wires going to the seatbelt retractor have anything to do with the airbags? Any idea what is wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The wires in the seatbelt retractor are for the airbag system. It is either for ana utomatic retracter (explosive charge is used to pull back on the belt when airbags deployed) or may just be for a sensor. It is not usually a good idea to repair airbag wiring. Is the destroyed part on the vehicle side harness, or the seatbelt side? You most likely will have to replace whichever component is damaged, then have the code cleared. Airbag codes can't be read with a tuner or cheap OB2 reader.

·
Registered
932 Posts
My 2008 had an airbag light come on. First trip to the dealer = replace a harness under warranty. Light came on again. Second trip to the dealer = replaced dr side side airbag. No problem since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts