Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sorta... I had my block align honed when I had all the machine work done.. for some reason he said he had to go .0010 over on the align hone. I have a standard size bearing in the inner main bearing because the crank is brand new. The guy at the machine shop told me to get a bearing that was standard inner and +.0010 on the outer.. does that make any sense? The problem I'm having is that I got these bearings a long time ago and I just remember telling the place exactly what the guy at the machine shop told me to get. Now I'm putting the engine together and the crank doesn't spin as freely as it should. The guy helping me wants to take a little off the crank to make it right, and I want to make sure this engine is assembled correctly, meaning, I think this guy might not know whats going on here, any suggestions?

·
Registered
559 Posts
something is not right here, your machine shop make a serious boo-boo if I am reading this right, but I would need more info. If the line bore was too tight, meaning the inner diameter of the main bearing bores without the bearing in was on the small side which is 2.4412, the high side is 2.4420. So now if it was too small he can line hone the mains to the high side which would be 2.4420, if went beyond that he made a mistake. You should never have to go above or below the low and high limit numbers as stated above. It the bores were above the high side (2.4420) then the machinist cuts the main caps to tighten up the bore diameter then hones it to within the high and low limit stated above. Tell me more of the story if you know it.

You need to have the block taken to a machine shop that can use a bore gauge and measure what the bores are now before you do anything.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the problem is that I took the block to the machine shop almost 4 yrs ago and then the project was put on hold. Now I have the money to finish it but the problem is my memory is a little fuzzy on the whole thing.. from what I've heard around town about this machine shop guy recently, I really screwed myself taking it to him. The machine work was $1000 to bore it .030, hot tank it and line hone (or align hone, not sure which one is which).

I'm thinking that I will just have the bore checked at this point, and have the caps cut and re-honed, if needed.. The thing is, this guy (machine shop)builds motors every day of his life, isn't that something he should know about?? and so does the guy helping me build my motor. He's a mopar guy with at least 40+ yrs of experience, and was the one who built my cornet for me, and that car ran pretty damn hard and had no problems, so I would assume he knows what he is doing too, but when he said he was going to try to polish the crank a little to get it to spin better, I thought something wasn't right.

·
Registered
559 Posts
when line honing the bores you can '"set" the bearing clearances you want, thats the whole point, you are NEVER, in a million years polishing 1 thousandth out of the crank with a hand held polisher while not putting a **** load of taper into the journal, on the flip side you cant get the polisher into the fillet of the crank which is the radius on the outside of the journals. Stop what your doing, take the bare block with the mains torqued down with the main bolts, no bearings and have a legit machine shop measure those bores and see where they are in the limits I stated above.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That does not sound right at all my father owned a machine shop for 25 years, I read that to him and said the guy must be some hack that doesn't have a clue.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That does not sound right at all my father owned a machine shop for 25 years, I read that to him and said the guy must be some hack that doesn't have a clue.
Haha, you're not the only one who's said that.. When I took it to him 4 years ago, I never heard anything bad about him, now, years later, after being around people who know his work, I definitely regret ever taking it to him.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
THis sounds weird as far as the block. Don't go and ruin your crank too in order to make up for a block that is already messed up. Two wrongs don't make a right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts