Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horse power do you think a motor would need to get my 89 hatch in the 12's. All motor I don't want any power adders. And on sticky tires (drag radials). My car is a 5sp and keep in mind 3.73 gears.

Should I go with a stoker 347 or a basic 302.

What I'm looking to do is have a daily driver that on a good day at the track can run 12.90's

·
Registered
559 Posts
we did that in the early 90's

short belt
slicks
gear
shorty header
5 spd

Learn how to drive and launch and it will go 90's

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yeah, you should be able to reach that goal with a 302 and not much else. Upgrade to explorer components and a set of gears and slicks and you should be good for 12s.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So your saying stock bottom end and stock heads and cam just upgrade intake and EFI stuff and gears.

I dont' know but that's kind of hard to believe. Not doubting you but it just can't be that easy. You know. Sounds to easy.

Has this been proven

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I build a motor and set the goal for 400hp to the flywheel what should my mustang run in the 1/4mile

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
you're definitely underestimating what our cars are capable of lol

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
So if I build a motor and set the goal for 400hp to the flywheel what should my mustang run in the 1/4mile
400 to the wheels will put a 3200 lb car into the mid 11s if the power is put down efficiently.

400 flywheel would be like 330 to the wheels so about a mid-low 12.

Stock, mustangs put out about 190 to the wheels so figure a mid-low 14 @ 3200 lbs.

If you can get 270 hp down to the wheels ad get the car weight down to about 3000 lbs you can get into the 12s with no problems.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoa I never thought of it that way.

Well my goal is 400hp for a daily driver. If it turns up less then so be it because it will be pretty fast anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
So your saying stock bottom end and stock heads and cam just upgrade intake and EFI stuff and gears.

I dont' know but that's kind of hard to believe. Not doubting you but it just can't be that easy. You know. Sounds to easy.

Has this been proven

Yes it is that easy and yes it has been proven. Running 12s with a bone stock engine has been done over and over again. Adding a set of Explorer heads and intake makes it that much easier. I'd leave the stock cam if your goal is only 12s.

·
Registered
193 Posts
12s is obtainable with stock motor.

if you want a good, stock appearing motor with more hp, get the thumper ported stock heads and tmoss ported stock intake. check out corral to find links to their sites or google it. you'll make around 270 rwhp'ish which is good for 12s on sticky tires.

mine went a 14.0 with a bad 60 ft time and not going into 2nd gear. only have exhaust and a 3.73 gear. since, with only a 2.0 60 ft, it's been a 8.80 in the 1/8th which should be around a 13.70 in the 1/4.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
I was about to say, I've seen bare bone stock stangs with the most cheap and simple cam mods and timing make high 11's. I was hoping the story wouldnt change. Hell I run 8.5's right now with the little stuff I have.... on the 1/8 mile that is LOL

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I got full exhaust, 3:55's and a c&l intake. I tell you what the cars slow as **** from a roll. Thats for sure. I can't get traction in first worth a damn though. Idk if I could see 14.5 in a gt for my car. Lx maybe. Maybe some gears will do the trick.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
I went 14.9 in a flexi flyer convertiable 3.73 gears aod with shift kit and something very loose in the driveline. 3500 lbs mabey?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I went 13.90s with an 88 GT. The only non stock modifications were a K&N panel filter, Hurst shifter and a Dynomax cat back exhaust. That same car went 13.40s with the addition of 3.55 gears, underdrive pullies, off road H-pipe and Flowmaster cat back. All passes were made on stock 1991 GT pony wheels and stock 225/55-16 Gatorbacks.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Back in 87, the some of the first tests on no option LX models were turning 13.7 1/4 times in the magazines. That was with like 50 miles on the ODO.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
I got full exhaust, 3:55's and a c&l intake. I tell you what the cars slow as **** from a roll. Thats for sure. I can't get traction in first worth a damn though. Idk if I could see 14.5 in a gt for my car. Lx maybe. Maybe some gears will do the trick.
Man, I have to +1 on that, Yeah my old 88 GT was slow as **** on 3.73's, Holley 650 and cam. My 89 LX is like twice the speed with 3.55's, cam and 24lb jectors... WHAT UP WIT DAT!... Not to say I hate it but I thought the GT's would be faster than the LX's

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tony DeFeo, pioneer in the sub-14 sec. *stocker* 5-Liter... All it takes is a stellar 60', no lift on up-shifts, and a reckless attitude.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts