Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To clear up some controversy...
After talking directly to tremec I have learned several very important thing about the 3650

--> Only put 3 Liters of Chevy syncromesh fluid in (penzoil also has synromesh fluid that works)

This comes directly from speaking with an engineer AT TREMEC who says that after doing extensive testing, it is the best fluid to use REGARDLESS OF ANYONE TELLING YOU THAT THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH THE SYNCHRONIZERS PROPERLY

They also found that the reason the 3650 feels notchy during 1-2 and 2-3 shifts is because of the factory recommended 3.8 liters. This additional .8 liters raises the fluid level high enough that when the gear is moving for engagement, it is slowed down by the drag of the fluid decelerating it enough to not properly engage the next gear.

sooo.... use 3.0 liters of Penzoil Synchromesh fluid for a drastically better shifting and longer lasting transmission

hope this helps some gear jammers out there, it's been bothering me for a longggg time

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
All Data says 3.3qts of Mercon V. That's what I use. No problems ever what so ever.

:2cents

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put that in when i got the car, it GREATLY helped the problem, the 3.0 quarts of synchromesh made an even bigger difference
Just got off the phone with TREMEC after calling about the kit i posted about earlier, and that's how the discussion started

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
dont put over 3 in IMO...my trans is FUBAR'd because of it. jamming gears with that much fluid shaved my syncro...yay for the 700$ mistake!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
This is hardly news, Ford's TSB 04-15-6 from 2004 recommends 3.0L (3.2 qts) of fluid for the TR-3650.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Give him a break hes trying to help lol

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Give him a break hes trying to help lol
Yeah I hear you, news is one of those things that if you haven't heard it before it's still news...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey man, ya'll help me all the time, i was just letting ya'll know something that helped me a lot, i can actually downshift to second now lol

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
hey man, ya'll help me all the time, i was just letting ya'll know something that helped me a lot, i can actually downshift to second now lol
I did't know that:confused:. thanks

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yea the synchromesh is the bomb diggity... I finaly changed my fluid at 88,000 and it shifts beautifuly...I put 3 QT's and a lil bit of a 4th QT

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
2 quarts synthetic atf, 1 quart lucas auto trans fix, **** your guys combos i use the secret sauce

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2 quarts synthetic atf, 1 quart lucas auto trans fix, **** your guys combos i use the secret sauce
I'm not arguing with that icon hahahaha

·
Registered
296 Posts
wheres the fill hole? or do you dump it in from the tup where the shifter is?

never mind i found it.
I think you can put it in through the top can't you? It was a PITA putting it in through the fill hole underneath with those small little hand pumps..... please someone tell me I can.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah u can put it in through the top
i got this pump thing from northern that sucks the old out and pumps the new in,
Best $100 i ever spent, i use that thing for everything lol
So i actually used the fill hole, but last time i changed the fluid i poured it in through the top, and i didn't have any problems

·
Registered
634 Posts
how many miles should you be changing your tranny fluid?? so 3L(3.2qrts) is all you need?? Chevy syncromesh???

1 - 20 of 137 Posts