Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably been asked before but i need a good quick answer...i run the track alot and wanna know which will be best before i buy..:tomato

·
Registered
198 Posts
fly wheel fw ??

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
lol... alluminum is lighter.. light weight= a little freed up hp but loss of torque... so you have to decide which is more important 3-8 hp freed up or probably 5-12 ftlbs of torque loss....

·
Registered
748 Posts
hmm. see i thought it would net you better response and net maybe both power ups of torque and hp. youd lose torque...maybe not noticeable, but you woudl?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I was told ,aluminum for road racing ,,steel for drag racing..I could be wrong..
Aluminum>steel

The only reason I can think of that you would have been told steel for drag racing is because in between shifts your rpms will fall a little faster with the aluminum because there is less intertia keeping it rotating when you're off the gas. IMO the rpm loss with the aluminum isn't enough to cancel out the HP gain you will see. Plus, if you're power shifting you never let off the gas anyways, in which case the aluminum is far better.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was told ,aluminum for road racing ,,steel for drag racing..I could be wrong..
this is what im told also, but i think i will run a aluminum f/w because i do mostly driving the car, not so much drag racing. but havent decided yet. maybe use the cash for more hp gains instead.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel and it was by far worth the money the car is much more responsive. Acceleration is so much faster and it revs down in under like 5secs insted of the 5 mins with the steel one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel and it was by far worth the money the car is much more responsive. Acceleration is so much faster and it revs down in under like 5secs insted of the 5 mins with the steel one.
That's what i was thinking...i heard steel for daily driving and drag racing but my car don't have much of a curve on the dyno so fidanza al fw (flywheel)with the steel inserts is what i'm thinking:D

·
Registered
748 Posts
hey if you got their #, give them a call and tell them to get that puddle jumper over here. i want to bermuda.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that's sum good **** !!!

·
Achieving more N/A power!
3,156 Posts
Aluminum>steel

The only reason I can think of that you would have been told steel for drag racing is because in between shifts your rpms will fall a little faster with the aluminum because there is less intertia keeping it rotating when you're off the gas. IMO the rpm loss with the aluminum isn't enough to cancel out the HP gain you will see. Plus, if you're power shifting you never let off the gas anyways, in which case the aluminum is far better.
That's what I was told as well, that it's not good for drag racing because it drops your rpm quicker...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts