Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my Shaker 500 head unit with an aftermarket nav system. There are a number of good systems with 7-inch screens that will drop right in, but I would really like to install the Alpine INE-Z928HD head unit, which is double-din sized and comes with an 8-inch screen. Alpine makes a bezel that permits installation in a 2010+ Mustang, but nothing has been released for the '07 - '09 cars. Has anybody tried this or know someone who has? Many thanks for any leads.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
A good custom shop could modify the factory bezel to make it work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Marc is right, find a good custom shop in the area, I have put one into a 2010 silverado without the perfect fit kit from alpine and it looked awful, I told the customer it would look ridiculous and sure enough... but with some custom dash work and paint it will work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Over the past week or so, I've made some careful measurements and checked out the universal 'perfect fit' bezel, offered by Alpine. My conclusion is that there really isn't enough room to fit the 8" Alpine unit into the present stock double-din space -- although it would be possible if you completely redesign the center stack similar to what is shown here:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/maaco-medusa-mustang.html

So, at the moment, it looks like I will be going with the 7" screen Pioneer Z140BH unit (or maybe its successor, the Z150BH, that I expect will be introduced at the 2013 CES).

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
The Alpine unit fits in a standard Double Din opening in the back. It's just the front LCD screen that is larger. So a good custom shop would be able to modify the panel to fit it.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm takling about- I've seen a 10" LCD mounted in a Toyota Tundra dash in place of the regular Double Din radio.

Pioneer lost my support when they replaced the AVIC D3 with something less than stellar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts